co2 vs pump

brabus
brabus Posts: 138
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
hi

can anyone outline the advantages of one of these co2 thingies vs a pump? i havent a clue even how they work!! :roll:

if they are any good any recommendations of which one to go for/best for replacement canisters etc?

Comments

• bikeboff
    bikeboff Posts: 87
    I used a CO2 canister for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and was instantly converted. It was very easy to use - just twist it on to the adaptor and it starts to inflate straight away - if anything a bit too quickly.

I think the advantages are threefold:

1. A canister is smaller and easier to carry than a pump - as long as you only have one puncture on your ride. Actually, I'm carrying a canister and a small pump.
    2. Using the canister makes it all much easier - no huffing and puffing involved.
    3. You can get a very good pressure - up to 130psi - from one canister.

Mine are Genuine Innovations 16g cartridges, but I would image most are pretty similar.

Maybe give them a try.
  • bikeboff wrote:
    1. A canister is smaller and easier to carry than a pump - as long as you only have one puncture.

And thats the rub

Have a go at inflating a road tyre to 110 psi with the kind of pump that fits in a jersey pocket
    Its a hassle to be polite :)
    With a CO2 insufflator its peasy

But then what do you do if you have another flat???

In the summer I accept that when I have a flat I can happily sit at the side of the road and pump away by hand (ooo errr Matron) for hours till my tyre is firm (ooo err Matron) whilst blackbirds and Sedge Warblers serenade me

In winter I would freeze to death and thus carry a CO2 insufflator plus TWO cartridges plus a hand pump
    I also run stupidly heavy armoured tyres to avoid punctures

But the plus is that come spring I switch to PR3's, dump the CO2 and immediately feel 7kph faster!!!

Cheers
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pump for me - much more versatile - how many cartridges do you take ? My pump gets a good enough pressure without too much bother. The lezyne ones are great.
  • Pump any day......think mine is a TopPeak mini-pump double shot type thing (??) and although small, you can put the tyre back to almost normal pressure with a bit of effort (say 90-100 psi).

Had a CO2 inflator and it broke on the ride when trying to use it....maybe just have been unlucky but I thought it was a bit useless.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    CO2 here.

It's better in every respect except the one mentioned - repeat punctures.

But given that I very rarely have punctures anyway, especially now I run tubeless, and that last time I had two punctures in a ride was about 8 years ago, that's a risk that is small enough to be insignificant.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    maddog 2 wrote:
    ... especially now I run tubeless...

Apologies for going off on a tangent but I'm always interested in hearing first hand accounts from tubeless tyre users. A few questions please:

How do the tubeless tyres compare for ride quality to a regular tyre/inner tube set up? Are you using tubeless compatible rims or a conversion kit? What tyres are you running?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    maddog 2 wrote:
    CO2 here.

It's better in every respect except the one mentioned - repeat punctures.

But given that I very rarely have punctures anyway, especially now I run tubeless, and that last time I had two punctures in a ride was about 8 years ago, that's a risk that is small enough to be insignificant.
    I've never heard of that gotta say ....
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    CO2, all the way, seen too many people furiously bashing away at the roadside trying to get enough pressure into their tyres to carry on.

CO2 is just so quick and easy, just carry a few canisters, they aren't heavy.
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    bikeboff wrote:
    1. A canister is smaller and easier to carry than a pump - as long as you only have one puncture.

But then what do you do if you have another flat???

one pump - both options, here:
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... ts_id=8599

or here:
    http://reviews.wiggle.co.uk/7867-en_gb/ ... eviews.htm

CO2 is fantastic - i too was an instant convert when I saw it used - but with this option you still have a pretty good micro pump thats not just baggage when the C)2 cylinders have expired
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    CO2 is better for unnecessarily polluting the environment at the expense of a few minutes elbow grease.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ..I carry both....I use the pump (mini pump clipped to the bottle cage, it's really not a problem to carry!) to get a bit of air in the tyre to ensure its seated ok, then blast it with the CO2 to get up to proper pressure.
    I carry 3 cartridges, one inside the holder and two others with old inner tubes round them to stop them rattling in the saddle bag.
    ...and the pump is always there just in case.....
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Yeah, because the manufacturing of tyres, innertubes and hand pumps is really environmentally friendly :roll:
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    danowat wrote:
    Yeah, because the manufacturing of tyres, innertubes and hand pumps is really environmentally friendly :roll:

If you read my post, I said "unnecessarily". I would argue that Tyres and Innertubes are necessary to ride...

Co2 vs pump makes no difference to riding, just convenience after fixing a puncture.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the only problem I have with CO2 is that you have to deflate and reinflate your tyres when you get home because they go down a lot more quickly when filled with CO2 due to the solubility of the gas in butyl rubber.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Touch wood, I've not had two flats on a ride before (except oddly, the other day for the first time - but the second one came less than half a mile from home!).

I only carry one spare tube anyway, so not sure how a pump would help me with having more than one flat on a ride.

So I go for CO2. I have a little pouch that holds my tube, pump with cartridge, money, keys, levers, multitool. Fits perfectly in jersey pocket (and is relatively flat).

However - if people can recommend an excellent, small and affordable mini-pump - I;d be interested.
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    If anyone is in the market for some CO2 inflators, Wiggle are knocking out all the SRAM ones on the cheap. It is just rebadged Genuine Innovations stuff as well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram/co2-pumps/
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Pump and CO2 have their place...

I use CO2 when racing, if I puncture I can get back up and going quickly. If the conditions are right I might get back on the bunch and at the very least I don't get a DNF. But I also carry a pump so if I get a second puncture there's little chance of getting back on. But still I try and avoid a DNF.

For any other situation; training, commuting etc I always rely on a pump for reasons already state.
  • Pokerface
    edited March 2011
    Genuine Innovations make a dual pump!

CO2 AND a mini-pump in one. So you can use CO2 the first time and still have a mini-pump in case of second/further problems.

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bicyc ... -mini.html

Edit: 7 inches long.
  • peterw47
    peterw47 Posts: 24
    This seems to be pretty good: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/mini-pump/product/review-bontrager-air-rush-road-pump-10-39705/

Also been toying with the idea of pump vs CO2 but didn't want to carry it on me, this seems it would do the trick nicely!
  • maddog 2
    Harry182 wrote:
    How do the tubeless tyres compare for ride quality to a regular tyre/inner tube set up? Are you using tubeless compatible rims or a conversion kit? What tyres are you running?

I prefer the feel of them. You can safely run them at 90psi so you get good grip+feel+comfort but they still roll well and you don't need to worry about pinch puncture issues like you do with clinchers at that psi. Some people like running their tyres a 110+ psi and good luck to them but for me the ride is cr@p and the grip is compromised too. Maybe if you live in France...

I run Hutchinson Fusion and Atom tyres on both tubeless rims (Dura Ace 7850SL) and std Open Pros taped up with Stans 21mm tape. Both work fine.

The only reason I run clinchers now is due to cost, through the winter, as the tubeless tyres are twice the price of, say, a Mich Krylion or Conti gatorskin.

For all other times it's tubeless all the way.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    @ maddog 2 - Thanks for the all the info. I've had a pair of Fusion 2s and a conversion kit sat in the shed for over a year. I reckon I'll try it out when the current tyres wear out.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    jamieayres wrote:
    If anyone is in the market for some CO2 inflators, Wiggle are knocking out all the SRAM ones on the cheap. It is just rebadged Genuine Innovations stuff as well.

Quality thanks for that :D ...and they work out cheaper then the G.I one I have :D
  • maddog 2
    I don't use a rimstrip by the way. I just tape the rims up with Stans tape - or 3M crossweave which is much cheaper - fit the tyres with a bit of sealant, then inflate them on a compressor. Once you done it once it's a doddle.

I also run some sealant round the bead with an old toothbrush prior to inflating, just to help them seal and hold air.
  • brabus
    brabus Posts: 138
    turnerjohn wrote:
    jamieayres wrote:

Quality thanks for that :D ...and they work out cheaper then the G.I one I have :D

there are a few different types on there which one should i go for?

threaded/nonthreaded/twist/race etc etc?!!! :?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    brabus wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    jamieayres wrote:

got the trigger version as have the G.I one and its great :D ....am a little sus of the "race" ones...nothing to grip to other then a freezing cold cartridge, and no regulation of the flow = not a good thing when your in a rush lol. The G.I ones are really well made...heres to never needing to use this one :lol:
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    .am a little sus of the "race" ones...nothing to grip to other then a freezing cold cartridge, and no regulation of the flow = not a good thing when your in a rush lol. The G.I ones are really well made...heres to never needing to use this one

The SRAM race ones come with a rubber sleeve to fit on the cartridges and once the head is screwed on you just twist the cart back a fraction to regulate the flow or turn off.

Best shown here: http://www.invodo.com/The-Microflate-Nano/p/Z1BE1298
  • Pokerface
    brabus wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    jamieayres wrote:

I use this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-trigger-no ... lator-red/

Trigger Non Threaded. Cartridge fits inside the holder (upside down until you need it - then just screw it in). It's not the Lightest - but works really well and is very solid. £9 is a bargain.
  • Both have their merits.
    I liked using CO2, but I carry a pump now.
    At least with a pump there is no limit to how many times you can use it.
    However in terms of ease of use, the CO2 wins.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    My co2 cannister was a disaster (or my ability to use it perhaps!)

When they work they can be great but having had a dud cannister, I decided to stick with a leyzne pump which works every time and provides a decent enough pressure.

P**ctures don't always come in isolation hence I carry two tubes and a patch kit.

Peter
  • Since you carry more than one tube surely you carried more than one CO2 can?

I don't understand why people assume you can only carry one CO2 can around. My Ultraflate has one fitted (just twist it to break the seal) and I carry 1 or even 2 extra in the saddle pack along with a spare tube (and a tube in a pocket). My CO2 gun even has a trigger so I can control the flow (and don't get frozen hands).

Gave up with pumps about 5 years ago.

Frankly if I get more than two punctures, I'd give the day up as a bad job and get a lift home/sag wagon. The fun would have well and truly gone out of the ride.

What do you do if your pump breaks?