crimes against bike maintenance

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Spotted a bike today, the quick release was missing its spring so they'd put a cable tie around it to keep it on.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    thelawnet wrote:
    Spotted a bike today, the quick release was missing its spring so they'd put a cable tie around it to keep it on.

but you do not actually need any springs on a Qr.

so what was actually going on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My thought as well Nick, the springs are only assembly aids....

Saw a guy riding a nice Scott MTB, nearly new, latest colour scheme hydro disk brakes etc on 2 near enough flat tyres, criminal.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    I rode with a zip-tie wrapped tight around the exposed thread of a cotter pin, worked fine, you could even un-screw it!

Back to front forks are too common, there should be a national advert campaign...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I once saw a bike on ebay with back to front forks, the seller even said that she couldn't get on riding it at all as it felt funny, I sent her a detailed message on how she may want to try again, besides fixing it before it killed her buyer.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Had a customer in today, his forks had completely exploded so he use a zip tie to keep the lowers on the uppers.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    thelawnet wrote:

You may have spotted my pub hack - I have a zip tie round the front QR and fork leg as an anti-theft device - stops scrotes just walking off with the front wheel.
    The springs are still there though.....
    Misguided Idealist