OT: Movies that I may not have seen the deep meaning in.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Just having some thoughts over lunch about movies:

My plan is to watch "Hot Tub Time Machine" on Thursday night while my wife is out and the rest of the house sleeps....

However, I have quite a collection of films, a few of them are considered cult classics and apparently have deeper meanings:

Vanishing Point

There is an awful lot said about Vanishing Point and some theories on deeper meanings, but to be honest with you, it seems to be about some bloke on amphetamines in a souped up car driving fast until he crashes....Did I miss the point?

Heavy Metal:

8 Animations in one story with the story revolving around a glowing ball of evil. Wasn't it all a bit juvenile and about a load of stoned animators drawing pictures of huge breasted fantasy girls in battle?

Is there anything you have seen where the deeper meaning is probably a load of cobblers? And the film does exactly what it says on the tin?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Two Girls One Cup?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Two Girls One Cup?

You'll go blind man!!!!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Yeah - I should add:

FOR GODS SAKE DON'T WATCH THAT FILM!!!!

(if you want a laugh watch the responses....)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Two Girls One Cup?

Quick synopsis?

:wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    kelsen wrote:
    Two Girls One Cup?

Quick synopsis?

Ummm...

Okay then
    Errrr
    Wha...
    Why is she...?
    In a c....?????
    HUH?
    She's... she's...
    No Way NO WAY F****** WAY
    ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH
    You B*****d!!! Why did you EVER suggest this film!!!!

I think that suffices.

Missing out the mind wipe afterwards... which you need.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    kelsen wrote:
    Two Girls One Cup?

Quick synopsis?

It's a tragic tale of forbidden love, often compared to Romeo, Juliet and 1 cup.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Two Girls One Cup?

Quick synopsis?

It's a tragic tale of forbidden love, often compared to Romeo, Juliet and 1 cup.

Not as forbidden as DDD's version, 2 Guys 1 Cup!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    How about Pulp Fiction and the whole Shiny briefcase and Marsellus plaster on the back of the neck....

If you are looking for hidden meaning....you could say that marsellus had his soul removed (through the back of the neck as per some ancient religious beliefs) and it was that which was the shiny contents of the briefcase....this leads nicely into travolta and his pal being angels....that and the breifcase combination being 666....

Of course...the same briefcase and combination holds the diamonds in Reservoir Dogs...it could just be a clever device to encourage plot....that isn't really there..

As for the plaster on marselluses neck..the actor (Ving Rhames) does acutally have a scar on his neck which he didn't want seen in all the overshoulder shots...

So....if you want there to be a hidden meaining, you will find it....otherwise...enjoy the movie.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    cee wrote:
    How about Pulp Fiction and the whole Shiny briefcase and Marsellus plaster on the back of the neck....

If you are looking for hidden meaning....you could say that marsellus had his soul removed (through the back of the neck as per some ancient religious beliefs) and it was that which was the shiny contents of the briefcase....this leads nicely into travolta and his pal being angels....that and the breifcase combination being 666....

Of course...the same briefcase and combination holds the diamonds in Reservoir Dogs...it could just be a clever device to encourage plot....that isn't really there..

As for the plaster on marselluses neck..the actor (Ving Rhames) does acutally have a scar on his neck which he didn't want seen in all the overshoulder shots...

So....if you want there to be a hidden meaining, you will find it....otherwise...enjoy the movie.

I think the shiny stuff was also a tribute to Repo Man, incidentally the director Alex Cox prefers the TV edit of Repo Man for the comedy swearing.

"Flip you Melon Farmer"
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I watched Hot Tub Time Machine recently and it is worth every penny. Well I laughed anyway. Although not as much as Anchorman which I also watched recently.

Wife is out tonight so HD sound system can get cranked up, might watch Batman Begins followed by the Dark Knight, on blueray, in the dark, really loud with a bottle of Peroni. Might play black ops instead.

--
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Sketchley wrote:
    I watched Hot Tub Time Machine recently and it is worth every penny. Well I laughed anyway. Although not as much as Anchorman which I also watched recently.

Wife is out tonight so HD sound system can get cranked up, might watch Batman Begins followed by the Dark Knight, on blueray, in the dark, really loud with a bottle of Peroni. Might play black ops instead.

Bzzzzt.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • attica
    rjsterry wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Bzzzzt.

Leffe FTW
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ice Age - Diego's dichotomy and Scrat's eternal quest
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Attica wrote:
    cee wrote:

I think the shiny stuff was also a tribute to Repo Man, incidentally the director Alex Cox prefers the TV edit of Repo Man for the comedy swearing.

"Flip you Melon Farmer"

The case in Repo Man was reference to the case in Kiss Me Deadly, one of the most amazing noir films you are ever likely see.
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    Attica wrote:

"Flip you Melon Farmer"

I now need to see that movie :D

I've got a meeting tomorrow with a 'difficult' chap. I'm now decided that I going to have to get that line in at some point :lol:
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • attica
    bunter wrote:
    The case in Repo Man was reference to the case in Kiss Me Deadly, one of the most amazing noir films you are ever likely see.

I kind of knew that, just couldn't remember the name of the film. Duly added to my Lovefilm List, cheers Bunter
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Not as forbidden as DDD's version, 2 Guys 1 Cup!!

But why is it that the idea of 2 Guys 1 Cup can actually seem even worse?! I mean, 2 Girls one cup is surely as 'aaaaaaaargggghhh, aaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh, aaaarrrrrghhhhhhhh, damit, noooooo - why did I watch this?' as it could possibly be. It is almost sick to think that it is somehow less pffmmfppffffllllfbbbeeeuuurggh because two 2 girls did it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redrobbo
    redrobbo Posts: 727
    From Paris with Love. Obviously a deeply thought provoking and subtle move with hidden meanings and undercurrents and not just John Travolta shooting the crap out of everything and everyone, mostly the Chinese.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Attica wrote:
    "Flip you Melon Farmer"

I used to know a guy called Phil Martin, who produced something called The Melon Farmers Hit List, which was a weekly list of all the films that had been censored in the UK that week (on TV, IIRC). I think he started it on uk.tv.media.misc, but it was also a column in Home Cinema Choice or something like that as well. True story.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Sketchley wrote:

Whats wrong with you sketchley :roll: missus out = no nagging about turning up late after having taking a detour on the way home.....so.....make more detours - I ended up somewhere near you this evening. Boy are there lots of lights down your way.
  • attica
    Agent57 wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    "Flip you Melon Farmer"

I used to know a guy called Phil Martin, who produced something called The Melon Farmers Hit List, which was a weekly list of all the films that had been censored in the UK that week (on TV, IIRC). I think he started it on uk.tv.media.misc, but it was also a column in Home Cinema Choice or something like that as well. True story.

Hijacking the thread a touch, sorry.
    The other memorable overdub for me is Die Hard

"Yippe Kayey Kimosabe"
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    "Flip you Melon Farmer"

Hijacking the thread a touch, sorry.
    The other memorable overdub for me is Die Hard

"Yippe Kayey Kimosabe"

Midnight Run.

Overdub produced "muddyfunster".

Cos that's plainly abusive.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Repo Man, great film remember watching that when Emilio Estevez was still vaguely cool (probably just before he was in Stake Out and Stake Out II).

Seems like your normal low budget film which is quite funny until the briefcase sci-fi scene in the car boot and it's like 'whoah! what is this all about?'
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    and quite enjoyed watching Repo Men with Jude Law and Forrest Whitaker last week too...
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    But for cult films that I didnt quite get how about Barbarella?

Although I quite enjoyed Jane Fonda in it though.

And of course the many references to DuranDuran
    FCN = 4
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    JZed wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Whats wrong with you sketchley :roll: missus out = no nagging about turning up late after having taking a detour on the way home.....so.....make more detours - I ended up somewhere near you this evening. Boy are there lots of lights down your way.

Detours happen often even if the wife is not going out. My 13.2 mile commute home has been 20.7, 19.2 and 15.7 this week so far. Last night's detour put me in Evans Wimbledon riding shiny carbon round the shop (big store that one).
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5