What gear ratio and shifter for carrera!

Damo152003
Damo152003 Posts: 24
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hello! to keep it short and sweet i have brought a carrera kracken xc and the first thing i noticed was how much hard work it seemed tobe ride,
Im use to a 21 speed gear setup as i had an old bike and this is 27,
Id like to change the gear ratios what would be a good option, also im after a new shifter too as the one at the moment you have to use your thumb to go up and down the gears.

My friends agree who have gt trek bikes etc that it seems to tire you out quite quickly and seems to take alot of effort compared to the bikes above.

At the moment it has sram x5 gears at the back and truvativ at the front.
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the overall ratios are the same. you just have more.

what do you want to change the shifter to? twist? or shimano triggers?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi thanks for the quick reply, i wounder if its just the bike then i have just been reading about seat position and from what i gather is my seat is to far back from the handle bars dont know if it makes much diff but got to be worth ago eh!

id like triggers agen but so you change up with your finger and down with your thumb thnks damien.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can't change to Shimano shifters unless you change the mech as well. And it won't make any difference to how easy or hard it is to ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yes i know that but the ones i have arnt very comfortable hense thats why in my poswt i mention my gears and then next paragraph say i also want to change my shifters.
    The one at the moment are rubbish to be honest thats why i want change them thanks
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    How are your SRAM shifters positioned? I understand it's also a personal preference thing with SRAM vs. Shimano triggers, but to comfortably reach both triggers on a SRAM they should be near vertical IMO.
  • hi there sram x5 shifter if you look on google images you can see that there a thumb push away from you operation compared to a finger click towards you!
    struggling explain my self there lol!
  • JEZ 8553
    JEZ 8553 Posts: 42
    I think i know what you mean, my missus has the Kraken W-Spec wth SRAM x5 shifters and i was wondering what all her bitching was about tonight when we went out on the bikes. Seems the front gear is extremely hard to change up as the shifter requires a very long travel, quite stiff as well. Ive got X7 shifters on mine and dont suffer from this issue :? .

Might need to adjust the front mech perhaps or change to twist shifters!
    Boardman Pro Carbon HT 2011
    Boardman Team Hybrid 2010
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 2012
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's been loads of different krakens over the years, but if it's got the Tioga Factory XCs that mine came with, it's like riding with the brakes on- incredibly heavy, pretty draggy, oh and not very grippy.

If the shifting's difficult chances are the cables are done in... Nowt wrong with X5, it's very similiar to X7 just with cheaper parts, works just fine.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    SRAM X5 shifters are generally pretty good. If they're hard to push it's almost certainly gunked up cables.

I have a fleet of 20 bikes for work, 14 of them have SRAM X5 brakes. They all seem to work fine and are reasonably comfortable. The only reason it'd be worth changing to Shimano is if you wanted the finger to shift down.

Definitely check your cables and whether the mechs are covered in dirt.

If it's a brand new bike and you were having these problems it would suggest a kinked cable outer, as this would add a lot of friction to the cable.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • Yes they work fine i think there was a miss understanding every thing works fine lol!
    I was asking about gear ratios and if changing would make riding easier,also i say im thinking of changing the shifters,These work fine but as mentioned by xtremedash I want it so they change up with my finger and down with my thumb as the x5 is up and down gears with your thumb!

I just prefer it to change up gears with your finger,Cheers for all the help tho.!
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Your current set up will have a better ratio than your old 21 speed set up. You just need to experiment with it to find which gears suit your riding.

As for you problems shifting, your only option is a 9 speed long cage Shimano rear deralier & shimano shifters. Everything else will be compatible with either setup though you might need a new rear cable too if your unlucky.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    though you might need a new rear cable too if your unlucky.

You WILL need new inner and outer rear as Sram use shorter inners and outers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Nothing wrong with SRAM 5 shifters. They must be positioned incorrectly if they're causing you discomfort or are hard to use!
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    nicklouse wrote:
    though you might need a new rear cable too if your unlucky.

You WILL need new inner and outer rear as Sram use shorter inners and outers.
    I couldn't remember which way round it was so hedged my bets ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Concorde wrote:
    Nothing wrong with SRAM 5 shifters. They must be positioned incorrectly if they're causing you discomfort or are hard to use!
    They do require more movement than Shimano Deores or XTs though. And the thumb-thumb thing is just plain wrong. It's sick and twisted. Spawn of satan stuff :lol:
  • Were all on the right wave length now lol, theres more to it than i thought lol, regards having change parts etc!
    well im going cannock chase tonight so will have a play round with the positions etc