Evans repairs and servicing

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone had any history with Evans repairs or serving. they gave me a good price on a job I want doing so just curious.

Comments

• Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Utterly useless service from them was what prompted me to invest in a workstand, toolkit and Zinn's book of road bike repair.

Not looked back since. Looking back it is pretty shocking how bad some of the work was.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    What job do you need doing? Unless its a full strip down and rebuild or needs some specific tools that you'll only need once (crank pullers for example), get yourself on the Park Tools or Sheldon Brown website and DIY.

Think about it, if your average Evans employee can do it, you're probably capable of being able to do it too
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Probably best if you specify a store - it's usually pot luck with big chains.
  • Tonymufc
    pastryboy wrote:
    Probably best if you specify a store - it's usually pot luck with big chains.

The two Manchester stores. Deansgate, city centre, and there's one next to the Trafford Centre. The reason I don't do any of the work myself is simply because I'm inept at any sort of mechanical repairs. It's not a repair as such, changing a standard chainset for a compact.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As above, it's pot luck and all down to the individuals. One near to me is staffed with juvenile baboons who know less than zilch about bikes and a fair bit less about customer service. The only time I go in there is to let then remind me that I'm not welcome in the place [like three other people that I know, strangely].

The Reading branch however is staffed with wonderful insightful knowledgeable staff who are welcome to have my babies. One of them is anyway. :)
  • Tonymufc
    The only reason I was asking is they gave me a slightly cheaper quote than some of the LBS's (don't shout at me its my money and I'll spend it where I like :oops: ). Don't want to attempt it myself for obvious reasons. May just bite the bullet and take it to the lbs.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    CiB wrote:
    The Reading branch however is staffed with wonderful insightful knowledgeable staff who are welcome to have my babies. One of them is anyway. :)

Who? can't recall seeing anyone "female" within aforementioned store for some considerable time.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Was in there yesterday, someone infront of me was getting a refund for a service which he claims was half done.

Holborn store.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Expect the price to go up once they have the bike. Expect it to go up again when you go to pick it up. It's what happend to me anyway.

As for cost Evans publish thier workshop price lists just find the store on the website and click the price list link. They vary from store to store but this is one of the more expensive central london ones http://www.evanscycles.com/uploads/File ... celist.pdf find the one for your local shop then phone up a good LBS in your area and ask them what they would charge for same job, then you can compare. For central london these prices are expensive. For example Evans charge £18.95 to true a wheel at Waterloo, Look Mum No Hands a Bike Cafe with a workshop near my work in Old Street charged me £10 for same job, almost half the price and I very good job indeed.

Alternatively as stated above learn to do it yourself, most stuff with the exception of items requiring special tools and wheel building is not that complicated to do. A top tip if your not confident is to do the work yourself then pop it in to the LBS and ask them to give the bike a saftey check. If you brought the parts from the LBS most will be often be happy to do this for a small charge and tell you anything you did wrong. Oh and a workstand helps (note to self to buy one).
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Has anyone had any history with Evans repairs or serving. they gave me a good price on a job I want doing so just curious.

There's a couple of branches in London I would recommend. No idea about Manchester.
    This post contains traces of nuts.