New pedals causing knee pain?

zummerzet-lou
zummerzet-lou Posts: 95
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
I've recently changed my pedals on my road bike .. and now have some shimano pedals.

They are very tight compared to my previous ones, and have found I can only unclip them with my leg straight, and even that takes some effort ... and yes, they are on the loosest setting.

The last couple of rides I've been on, I've noticed some pain in my knees a few hours after the ride. Predominantly my right, but my left also ... pain is more of a warm feeling in the knee cap,

So, is it likely to be the cleat position? Or the twisting effort?

Where do I start to work out where my cleats should be - experimenting or are they a few guidelines?

Thanks,
Lou

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Sitting on a high stool or a table, with your legs dangling, take note of how your feet rest. Are they slighly turned out or in? And maybe one foot more than the other. This is how you want your feet on the pedals to avoid any knee problems. Adjust your cleats accordingly to achieve this. Try twisting out of your pedals more with the ankles than knees if you can. Once the cleats get a bit worn and shiny, they'll be much easier to click out of.
    http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Are they a different pedal/cleat system and therefore has your distance from saddle to pedal changed slightly?

If just new pedals and cleats and they are very stiff, are they moving the cleat position slightly every time you unclip therefore at the wrong angle now (therefore needing to follow seanoconn's advice above to refit)?
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    seanoconn wrote:
    Sitting on a high stool or a table, with your legs dangling, take note of how your feet rest. Are they slighly turned out or in? And maybe one foot more than the other. This is how you want your feet on the pedals to avoid any knee problems. Adjust your cleats accordingly to achieve this. Try twisting out of your pedals more with the ankles than knees if you can. Once the cleats get a bit worn and shiny, they'll be much easier to click out of.
    http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html

Good advice, cheers. Been having a similar problem with one of my knees, not too bad but best to nip it in the bud early. Sorting my cleat now :D

Thanks for the reminder.
  • ssk2
    ssk2 Posts: 25
    Sorry to hijack slightly, but this is OT... I also feel a little stupid for asking this, so no comments please!

Basically, I walk quite 'duck footed', ie. my feet point out. I'm having trouble visualising which way my cleats should be angled to achieve a neutral position. Should they be angle in (so, angled right on my left foot) or should they angle out to mimic my feet? :oops:
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    ssk2 wrote:
    Sorry to hijack slightly, but this is OT... I also feel a little stupid for asking this, so no comments please!

Basically, I walk quite 'duck footed', ie. my feet point out. I'm having trouble visualising which way my cleats should be angled to achieve a neutral position. Should they be angle in (so, angled right on my left foot) or should they angle out to mimic my feet? :oops:

stick a bit of masking tape on the bottom of your shoes. then place the shoe on the pedal in roughly the position you want your foot to be in. draw round the pedal, boom bada bing.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    ssk2 wrote:

With your feet on the pedals the cleats need to be turned in towards the bike, kind of opposite to what you might think. If your feet are very turned out you might need to get some little extensions for the pedals to stop your heels rubbing on the frame.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pip306
    pip306 Posts: 48
    my knees did this loads to the point i couldn't bare it. i have the same pedals turns out a the seat was too low as the cleats are quite thick and b i was pedalling to hard and not floating enough having sorted that no knee aches at all its bliss!
  • Thanks ....

I'm staying off my bike until the aches stop - still a little tender today, 3 days later!

I'm planning to stick my bike on the indoor trainer over the weekend and have a play with the cleats, and maybe the saddle height.

Will keep you posted ... I'm hoping it's only a positional thing as never had any hassle with my knees before.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Thanks ....

I'm staying off my bike until the aches stop - still a little tender today, 3 days later!

I'm planning to stick my bike on the indoor trainer over the weekend and have a play with the cleats, and maybe the saddle height.

Will keep you posted ... I'm hoping it's only a positional thing as never had any hassle with my knees before.

Mend soon fella! Consider buying some Speedplay Zero pedals, they have loads of float and I've read loads of reviews from people saying they have saved their knees. Look em up, not cheap but they are a professional product.
  • I've only just bought new pedals, so can't justify buying another pair ....

My knees are improving but still a little sore so I'm playing it safe and resisting the urge to go for a spin.

Typically the weekend weather was perfect cycling weather too so had to make do with gardening instead :-(