reign x2 upgrades

clen666
clen666 Posts: 36
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Looking to splash some cash on bits for my currently standard '09 giant reign x2.

It's a bit of a heavy bugger so I was wondering where would be best to lose a few pounds? I don't push the bike hard at the moment, so would it be worth swapping to an air shock? If so any recommendations?

Would also like a wider bar for <£50.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Current spec might help us make decisions on where you can lose weight.
    And budget.

Tyres are usually a good place to start.
    Grips

Also, you say you want a wider bar. Wider than what? What sort of rise/sweep are you after?

Need more info.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Evans had Sunline V1 bars for £29.99 a couple of weeks ago, but whether they're an upgrade or not depends on what CWNT asked.
  • clen666
    a fair point! :oops:

MODEL Reign X 2
    SIZES XS (15"), S (16"), M (18"), L (20")
    FRAME AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid Formed,Maestro suspension system,6.7''/170mm travel
    FORK Marzocchi 55R 160mm travel, 20mm Thru-axle
    SHOCK Marzocchi Roco R
    HANDLEBAR RaceFace Evolve AM riser
    STEM RaceFace Evolve AM
    SEAT POST RaceFace Ride XC
    SADDLE WTB Pure V Race, CroMo rails
    PEDALS N/A
    SHIFTERS SRAM X.5 18 speed triggers
    FRONT MECH Shimano SLX
    REAR MECH SRAM X.5
    BRAKES Hayes Stroker Ryde disc, 160mm/180mm rotors
    BRAKE LEVER Hayes Stroker Ryde
    CASSETTE Shimano HG50 11-34
    CHAIN Shimano HG73
    CRANKS Truvativ Ruktion 24/36
    BOTTOM BRACKET Truvativ Ruktion GXP
    RIMS WTB Dual Duty FR 26"
    HUBS Formula All-Mountain
    SPOKES Stainless steel
    TYRES WTB Prowler MX front, XT rear 26x2.3"
    *WEIGHT KG / LB 17.36 / 38.04
  • Still need you to tell us how wide your current bars are, and what your upgrade budget is though. :lol:
  • clen666
    bars are 26"/660mm

not sure on budget as it will be a continual upgrade process, just doing bits when the money is in the bank.

I realise budget dictates a lot, so lets say mid-range gear.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any area that may offer best weight-loss per £ (I guess it will be wheels/ tyres?), and whether fitting an air shock would make much difference?
  • Ok, fair enough.

Bars, I'd probably go for some KCNC Bone SC bars. At 710mm wide that should be plenty, and they weigh just 236g, which is very light.

Tyres, I'd personally go for something like Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25, which are again, nice ang light, but plenty strong (the newer versions). You do pay for it though, look at around £35-40 each for them. Remember though, different people and different riding types call for different tyres.

A wheel build from Superstar on their hubs with flow rims or something will retain wheel strength whilst saving loads or rotating weight.

Air forks and shock would save a good chunk of weight, but you will lose some of the plushness you get from the coils.

You'd save a bit more weight again by swapping the chainset and BB to something like an SLX double and bash.

That's already a pretty big shopping list, anything after that is going to give diminishing returns and you may even be better at looking at selling up and buying something else.
  • clen666
    yeah I think buying a new bike could work out cheaper :lol:

Thanx for the advice though, I'll take a look at that bar and wheels/tyres

:)
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I would definately recommend wheels at the top of that list if you are not pushing it massively hard.