2500 miles one puncture

mattrsa
mattrsa Posts: 143
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
So I have started to commute to work again on my bike after and extended winter break.

Picked up my first puncture in 2500 miles this morning which was annoying as it made me late for work but not too bad as I had not had one in a year. replaced the innner tube on the side of the road. The problem now is that I do not have a spare inner tube or patch should I get another puncture on the way home.

The commute is 24 miles and I don't really want to get half way and get another puncture as I will be well and truly stuck as most of the route is on rural roads and the girl friend is working late so can't come and pick me up if I was to get another puncture.

What should i do?

Risk it or jump on the train home?
Commuter - Trek 1.2
Fun - Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Even with a spare tube and patches it would be possible to get more visits than you could repair.

Take your chances. Or wait for the missus to finish work and get her to come and rescue you even though your bike works.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited March 2011
    Can you not stop off and get a spare tube or patches on route if it gives you comfort. I'd take a chance - if the worst happens you may have to sit in the pub until your gf can collect.

Have made it home on the mountain bike by removing the tube and packing the tyre with grass to create a solid tyre. Wouldn't recommend it though.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    get her to come and rescue you even though your bike works.

You just made me laugh out loud in the office - now they all want to know what was funny!!
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Or wait for the missus to finish work and get her to come and rescue you even though your bike works.

Well I would get the train part of the way home leaving only a few miles to ride(walk if I get a puncture)

Don't fancy getting stuck in the middle of nowhere till 10pm tonight when she finishes and walking would be a nightmare with spd sl cleats if i did get another puncture.
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper