Off Road MTB tracks in and around Bolton, Lancs

northtrack
northtrack Posts: 77
edited April 2011 in Routes
Hi All, I'm looking for some information of off road mtb tracks for around Bolton, Horwich, Chorley, Bury area of Lancashire.

I know quite a few off the top of my head on and around Winter Hill (Rivington) but I've started to go further afield.

I've had a good search on the Bike Radar route area but most of the routes seem to be on the road.

Anyone know of a dedicated website that caters for just "off road" routes?

Thanks

Comments

• bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Riding across Tockholes and up to Darwen Tower is a nice run out. Also up Holcombe Hill in Ramsbottom.

I'm not really sure on local routes as i go to Lee Quarry and Gisburn normally. Where in Bolton do you live?
  • Hi, Cheers for the info, I'm from Worsley near Manchester but I work around bolton so know it quite well, I go up to Winter Hill quite alot but need some new routes, I've done jumbles and entwistle/wayoh reservoirs (both of them have some good tracks), last year i went upto the wind turbines on Scout Moor overlooking bury/rochdale, I was quite knackered and didn't go any further but been told that theres some good tracks to the east of the turbines and will prob try to get to them in the coming weeks.

I've heard someone else tell me about Darwen Tower (is that the one that looks like a rocket on the hill?), which is the best route to get to Tockholes from bolton? (off road if poss), I hate riding on the road.

Are you local to Bolton mate?
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Get over to Rivington, that'd be your best bet, we're always up there, as we hail from Westhoughton/Horwich :)
    Try the Pike and the Japanese Gardens. Also the Ice Cream Run and on to Healy Nab.

PM me if you need any advice :)
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    northtrack wrote:
    Hi, Cheers for the info, I'm from Worsley near Manchester but I work around bolton so know it quite well, I go up to Winter Hill quite alot but need some new routes, I've done jumbles and entwistle/wayoh reservoirs (both of them have some good tracks), last year i went upto the wind turbines on Scout Moor overlooking bury/rochdale, I was quite knackered and didn't go any further but been told that theres some good tracks to the east of the turbines and will prob try to get to them in the coming weeks.

I've heard someone else tell me about Darwen Tower (is that the one that looks like a rocket on the hill?), which is the best route to get to Tockholes from bolton? (off road if poss), I hate riding on the road.

Are you local to Bolton mate?

I live in Leigh and my local spots are Lilford woods and Hag Fold rucks both have seen better days but hopefully over the summer i'm trying to organise a few dig days. Both places aren't that big or challenging but there are a few jump spots if thats what your looking for, HagFold has a bit of potential but at the minute me and my mates are clearing away all the overgrown areas before planning some new runs but like i said it's mainly focused around jumping.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    If you ended up at scout moor you nearly ended up at Cragg quarry, lots of purpose built trail to go at and a link over the moor to Lee Quarry with more purpose built trails! :D [/quote]
  • aguesty1
    aguesty1 Posts: 97
    If you ended up at scout moor you nearly ended up at Cragg quarry, lots of purpose built trail to go at and a link over the moor to Lee Quarry with more purpose built trails! :D [/quote]