Fancy joining me on a jumps and drops course?

Where are my stabilisers?
edited June 2011 in Women
I recently contacted Helen Gaskell to ask her if she would do a jumps and drops course... because I'm rubbish at any kind of drop and jumping!

At the moment, we are trying to figure out a suitable date and location and to make it more worth her while, I thought I'd ask if any of you girls fancy joining me? :D

So, if any girls out there want to learn how to jump, drop and stop being a chicken (I refer to myself :oops: ), let me know and we can sort out a course date with a pro :D

Comments

• Bx
    Bx Posts: 33
    Oooh I could be very tempted with this.

I've made my first stop being a chicken step and registered to post rather than lurking silently so I reckon I'm part way there! :lol:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hiya :D

I would be very interested in this... I have done a course like this before, but I am still not known for my great downhill technique ( :oops: ) so would love to learn from a pro!

I am based in Southampton but would be very happy to travel a (reasonable!) distance for this. Where are you all based?

And Hello and Welcome Bx 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Tempted by this as well depending on the time and place.
  • Well done BX, part one complete! :D

Right, I'm in SW Wales and have already told Helen that I don't mind travelling, so that opens up the location.

Before I posted this, I had already suggested some dates to Helen and she'll be looking into which one suits her best. I work shifts and don't always have weekends off, so a lot of the days I suggested were week days. If it's not possible for you to do the course on a week day, but seriously want to come, then we can look at another date.

I'll wait to see what she comes back to me with and we'll go from there :D
  • Lizzie77
    Lizzie77 Posts: 53
    Me too, also depending on when and where, I am a chicken and happy to admit it. Although I have done some good routes, I go down them all pooping myself!!

Nevis being the most pooped lol
    Specialized XC Comp
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I'd be up for this, depending on where it's going to be held at :D

Caz xx
  • DanielleT
    DanielleT Posts: 259
    Count me in too, depending on where and when of course :)
    delightfully dangerous!
  • hels bels
    hels bels Posts: 15
    Hey Girls

I have now joined this forum so i can join the banter..

GREAT to see you are all keen for a course ..

My question to you all is WHERE ??

You are all over the country so if you can all decide where you would like to learn to do jumps, Drops. etc

Let me know then we will arrange a date.. :D

Look forward to hearing your suggestions..
    I don't mind where we go , fire away..

Hels
    x
  • miss notax
    Hello :D

Well, Southampton probably isn't ideal ( :wink: ) so Wales or Midlands would be my choice I guess? Where is easy for everyone else?

If we can squeeze this in before I go to Morzine in July that would be fab too 8) :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Bx
    Hi Ladies, thanks for the welcome :D

I'm based SW/Midlands and willing to travel too. Suggestions for Wales or the midlands obviously get my vote but I'm happy to go further if that suits (we can always share lifts if it makes it easier).

I can do a mid week day with enough notice (flexitime is a wonderful thing!) or a weekend though these do get busy, so much to do and so little time to fit it into.

Bx
  • DanielleT
    Hi!

Well i'm up and over towards Hull, and willing to travel a bit North, South or West within reason :)

I can do most weekends too, week day would be more tricky what with the majority of my holidays booked now.
    delightfully dangerous!
  • Gingie
    Gingie Posts: 98
    heya guys!

we've done a few courses with Helen and couldn't recommend anyone more highly for doing a course with.

She's really good and pushing your riding levels and helping you to achieve things you never thought possible!!

Hope you manage to get something organised- pop us a line at GMB when you've done it and let us know how you get on :-)
  • Pezzle
    Pezzle Posts: 27
    I would be interested too, can travel so will keep watching the thread.
  • We also need to establish the skill level of the course :wink:

What level is everyone at?

Personally, I want to focus on the basics of drops and jumps and by the end of the day, be able to drop off unrollable drops without chickening out or face planting and jump smoothly with a decent amount of air :D

How about you?
  • Bx
    Hmm defining skill level is a tough one!

I also want to be able to get down unrollable drops with a degree of finesse but I'll settle for upright and not face first! I do jump a bit already but I'm a bit scaredy so don't always commit (fine on jumps I know but not fine on anything else even if it's small!) and therefore I'm not terribly consistent. I want to improve my technique/confidence and be able to apply it in different situations thereby making me more consistent. Oh and I'd like to get a good bit of air and not look petrified whilst doing so :lol:

Hopefully that's both accurate and realistic!
    Bx
  • BX, that sounds about the same as me, although you probably get more air than me :wink:

It's hard to categorize isn't it?! Like I wouldn't class myself as a beginner, because in general MTB terms I'm not, but if we're talking hardcore, then I am, a) a chicken, b) a beginner or c) generally tallentless! :lol:
  • DanielleT
    Hi there,

I'd think i'd class myself at a bit of a lower level than yourselves. But I would also like to work on drops and jumps. I can manage small (1-2 foot) unrollable drops if the landing is nice wide and clear!! My issue is i've got the fear big style after seeing a friend snap his shin after landing a drop and riding into a tree stump! Jumping is bit more difficult, I can suprise myself and get small jumps ocassionally. Its usually when i'm not thinking about it too much. I prefer table tops so its not so bad if I case the landing! ha ha! I agree with BX and and want to improve my technique, confidence and to be more consistent. I think some cornering help wouldn't go amiss too.

Is Stile Cop at Cannock Chase a good option? I know they've got some good drops there (its where my friend bust his leg though :s) but i've not seen that many jumps (probably becasue I just roll them or avoid them! :oops: )

Dani
    delightfully dangerous!
  • miss notax
    Hi ladies,

It sounds as if everyone is around the same level - myself included! I will happily ride quite big drops, and do jumps in isolation (ie one lone jump surrounded by lots of non-scary space!), but I am rubbish at stringing it all together and hardly ever do jumps on a trail. I would like to get to the stage of being able to join it all together, and do jumps on the trail or prolonged rocky downhill sections :D

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I'm still classed as a novice I think, I can do rollable drops of about a foot and I have got about an inch off the floor on a jump :lol:...my problem is fear, I can't get myself to let go and just drop or jump. I will ride up to the edge and my hands just do their own thing and grab the brakes! :oops: I also can't do drops to land on a downslope, for some reason I can't even bring myself to roll off those.
    I think I'm too far behind you girlies,my skills are low due to nerves :(
    Caz xx
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    Ooh this sounds really good, I'd definitely be interested! I'm in the south-west but would be happy to travel depending on dates!
  • miss notax
    Any more thoughts on dates / locations? :D

• lala1181
    lala1181 Posts: 13
    Hi I would b interested in this and prepared to travel. I'm bout the same level as alot of u. Get scared initially at doing drops and jumps, would love to learn some skills to over come this so can actually challenge the men at chick sands!

Would like to get out riding with women a bit more so if any are down south and fancy meeting up, message me please. :lol:
  • smallred
    smallred Posts: 73
    Depending on time & place I'd be interested too. I've done a bit of downhhilling, but want to be able to drop off 2' comfortably/confidently, instead of soiling my trousers/bottling it! Pretty much busy til July thought with exams though, so if you guys go earlier and there's a bunch who can't make it then maybe a second outing in the summer would be in order? :)
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Lisa HT
    Specialized Tricross Triple
  • DanielleT
    Is my suggestion of Cannock Chase (Stile Cop) any good? I can only really do after May 23rd (final exam date!)
    delightfully dangerous!
  • miss notax
    DanielleT wrote:
    Is my suggestion of Cannock Chase (Stile Cop) any good? I can only really do after May 23rd (final exam date!)

I would personally be happy with Cannock, never ridden there but i'd give it a go! It's about a 3 hour drive away for me so I probably wouldn't want to go too much further away.....

• Bx
    I don't know Stile cop so not really sure if it would be good or not. I'm not sure what the best terrain is for coaching this kind of stuff so maybe now we've suggested regions Helen might be able to help with exact venues?

I can do just about any time really as long as I get a couple of weeks notice. So any time from next week onwards!

I am currently loving the fast dry trails, sadly my legs are back to sporting a variety of bruises, gouges and scratches. Ah the joys of riding in shorts and wearing skirts to work :lol:
  • miss notax
    Bx wrote:
    I am currently loving the fast dry trails, sadly my legs are back to sporting a variety of bruises, gouges and scratches. Ah the joys of riding in shorts and wearing skirts to work :lol:

I sympathise! We have a couple of posh do's coming up in a few weeks time so it'll be riding in leggings for me - no lady looks good in a cocktail dress with scratched legs and scabby knees :shock: :lol::wink:

(and good point about the location!)

• DanielleT
    Cool, yea, I think Helen would be best to decide, I just know that Cannock is quite central and people run courses there already so I assume there is more than what i've just ridden there myself.

Yep i'm at a wedding tomorrow, managed to keep my legs looking ok! No biking injuries just more from generally being clumsy and walking into things! ha ha! :lol:
    delightfully dangerous!
  • Adnams82
    Adnams82 Posts: 22
    hello everyone,

This sounds fantastic - I would love to join in I am probably a little behind most of you in skill level, I can do most rollable things but need to know anything bigger well before attempting it and then nerves tend to make me tense up and not ride it so well. I have had a play at jumping which I enjoyed but bearly left the ground. I really want to be able tackle these things with confidence on the trail and move on to more technical trails and try some downhill.

Assuming I am at an acceptable skill level; I am based in the midlands but am happy to travel and with enough notice can do weekdays.

Cheers Sacha