My commute - am I too slow?

chipandpin
chipandpin Posts: 38
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I thought I was reasonably fit and have a decent level of stamina but seem to be averaging under 14mph for my commute. I have attached the map of my commute which should show the elevation, which I think is quite hilly, but you may disagree. What would be a good average speed for that route for a relative newcomer to cycling?

Thanks

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/29364858

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your commute is a circle, novel form of wok from home you have!

As its 40km long I think a 14mph average is reasonable, or is it 20km and you do a different route each way?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As its 40km long I think a 14mph average is reasonable, or is it 20km and you do a different route each way?

Simon

Yes I go home a different way as I always have more energy later in the day, so going to work is about 7 miles and going home about 17.5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Too slow for what? It's not that slow. Plenty of slower people, and plenty of faster too.
    If you're asking the question though then yes, it's too slow. Practice, go faster :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I only ever go to work when I "commute". Never go out later in the day to go back home :wink:

And your only too slow if you don't get to work on time.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As I have said on another thread, one guy at my work commutes at 6-7 mph so you are not that slow.
    I would think that is fairly average and will improve with time and excercise.
    It is also bike dependant. A heavy full suss mtb on squishy tyres will be slower than a lightweight racer.
    Cycle for fun and the rest will take care of itself :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Are you too slow?

Do you get there in the time you allow yourself to complete your journey? Simples! :D
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    'Tis pretty hilly round those parts, not much flat ground, so 14mph is decent for a commute. I'd be looking at heading over to Rivington or going via Edgeworth/Pickup Bank on the way home though.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    'Tis pretty hilly round those parts, not much flat ground, so 14mph is decent for a commute. I'd be looking at heading over to Rivington or going via Edgeworth/Pickup Bank on the way home though.

Your right, flat ground is not something you see a great deal of around this way.
  • To be honest, I am never in a rush to get to work.
  • I don't think that's too bad at all mate considering the terrain.
  • If you're not late for work, you're not too slow.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer