Mavic Aksium 2011 spoke loose

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited April 2011 in Workshop
Spoke loose in a rear Mavic Aksium, using the spoke tool its just turning and not tightening?

I've removed the rim tape but how do i tighten it up?

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16136255

FWIW, I've a pair of 2009 Aksium and one spoke keeps loosening on the rear wheel. Finally I took it to a trusted LBS who trued it and equally tightened the spokes....1000 miles later a spoke (not sure if it's the same one) worked loose. This is now my 1000 mile service.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Soni
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16136255

FWIW, I've a pair of 2009 Aksium and one spoke keeps loosening on the rear wheel. Finally I took it to a trusted LBS who trued it and equally tightened the spokes....1000 miles later a spoke (not sure if it's the same one) worked loose. This is now my 1000 mile service.

Thanks for the reply mate, i noticed that post but couldn't understand what they meant?

When i turn the nipple from the wheel/spoke side with a tool, i can see the nipple turning inside the rim? And it doesn't look like the spoke turns within the nipple?
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    You need to hold the spoke to stop it turning while tightening the nipple.
    I use a small piece of wood with a slot cut in it, you could use pliers or an adjustable spanner also :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Soni wrote:
    When i turn the nipple from the wheel/spoke side with a tool, i can see the nipple turning inside the rim? And it doesn't look like the spoke turns within the nipple?

If I read you correct then it looks like a crossed thread on the spoke/nipple. it might be better to take it out and buy a new spoke and nipple. For just the sake of a few pounds (and a few hours working) it might save your whole wheel.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Soni wrote:

If I read you correct then it looks like a crossed thread on the spoke/nipple. it might be better to take it out and buy a new spoke and nipple. For just the sake of a few pounds (and a few hours working) it might save your whole wheel.

+1
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Soni wrote:

:lol: Could be, but it's far more likely that the OP hasn't realised that Askiums have straight-pull spokes.
  • Soni
    Hi guys, took the wheel into Evans gatwick today, they've just had a major overhaul of the old road bike section, there s now a massive open work shop where you can see all that is going on, they put it on the truing wheel and tightened the spokes up, but the rim is dented big time right onto of the spoke that was loose, he checked the spoke tensions and said to get it straight would mean 6 tension on some spokes and 20 on others...I recall hitting a massive pot hole the other night when it went, so looks like its going to cost me 100 notes for a new back wheel.....just as well I don't run expensive wheels.......

Problem is I can't remember whether they are magic aksiums 2010 or 2011????

They are black and have some writing on the side of the rim in red????? Anybody have any ideas????