Stretching on a 300km ride

LostInTheWoods
LostInTheWoods Posts: 50
In June I am doing a 300km day event in Sweden (called the Vätternrundan: http://www.vatternrundan.se/Default.aspx?module=4&content=12&lang=SV&fwsite=2) and I want to plan the rest stops on the route.

While at the stops picking up food, drinks, using the toilet etc, I was wondering what stretching I should do? Time is not super critical, but I don't want to spend 20 minutes stretching either. Any suggestions?

Also, is there anything else I should do? I have seen a lot of rest stop zombies before... low on sugar and staring into the middle distance while munching a banana.. but I want to get the most benefit from a rest stop....

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Great event (I live in Sweden, hubby has done it 6 times). Just stretch front of thighs shoulders & back - personally I wouldn't bother tho'. Food is naturally Sweden oriented - the warm bilberry soup is good as are the pickled & salted cucumber slices according to hubby - but give the sausgae & mash a miss!
    Good luck. come prepared for chilly night riding if you have a night time start.
  • @ut_och_cykla, I love the user name (out and bike).. I think I am going to avoid the pickled items..
    I have a 4-5am start so that is not too bad..

As for stretching.. I was thinking back, neck, thighs, hamstrings and calves.. I was just wondering if anyone had any strong opinions or a bit of experience with this.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    ut och cykla is a play on words too - similar to off her rocker or similar- so when the kids were for ever saying mum's out cycling everyone had a little knowing smirk too! Wouldn't bother stretching - you'll be stuffed at the end whatever you do!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I often ride 300km+ ( see blog for more details ) and occassionally stretch a bit in the middle of the ride. Touching my toes for 20 seconds is normally enough. Most rides I wouldn't even bother with this. I don't feel the need to stretch loads during long rides.

Pros stretch on the bike, riding hands free. Whilst I lack the bike handling skills to do that sort of stuff I would often stretch my leg down into the ankle by dropping the heel with the leg straight while freewheeling. I'd do this for 20 seconds on each leg.
  • Thanks for the ideas vorsprung... and as you say pro's stretch on the bike, they would not bother doing that unless it was of some benefit (recovery, reduce muscle damage or whatever).