1st trip to Cannock - advice please

Zard36
Zard36 Posts: 28
edited April 2011 in Routes
Hi, I'm looking at riding Cannock chase in a couple of weeks time. This will be 1st visit for over 5yrs :-/ I know it's changed a lot over that time, but has anybody got any advice about riding around there? Want it to be a bit of a break-in before going in the deep end & going to Wales :-)

Cheers.

Comments

• R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Well some of the new Monkey trail is as technical as anything you will find in Wales, or so I'm told, especially the last 2 descents - Upper and Lower Cliff.

The only real advice I could give is take your time (without slowing people down : :wink: ) and enjoy it. Doing all the Monkey Trail is an absolute must as is the last part of Follow the Dog that leads you back to the car park but the rest is standard and pretty tame. A few steep sections on both but no real nasty climbs. If you take it easy with rest and chat stops it will take you around 3-4 hours.
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    make that 2-3 hours, but yeah as above.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Shouldn't take more than 3 hours, it's a pretty fun trail.
  • Zard36
    Zard36 Posts: 28
    Cheers For that, What are the climbs like, not really looking forward to those :-(
    But with every up there is a down ;-) Prob going on a sunday morning, so can be back for mid afternoon, wil this time of day be busy?

Cheers.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Climbs aren't too bad, there are a fair few switchback climbs, a few fireroads going up varying inclines, but like I say, nothing too bad.

It'll be reasonably busy, when I go in the week I maybe see a dozen people on the trails, at the weekend there are waaayyy more because it's so accessible to so many people. Still lots of fun.
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    It will be pretty busy on a Sunday - there is nothing too bad at FTD or MT that you can't roll. It's a fun trail and there are no real punishing climbs. The one I hate is the big long straight hill - boring and long!

No probs in going slow as long as you find a convenient place to pull over to let others past if there's a hold up. No one should mind someone finding their feet....
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    R0B75 wrote:
    Well some of the new Monkey trail is as technical as anything you will find in Wales, or so I'm told, especially the last 2 descents - Upper and Lower Cliff.

The only real advice I could give is take your time (without slowing people down : :wink: ) and enjoy it. Doing all the Monkey Trail is an absolute must as is the last part of Follow the Dog that leads you back to the car park but the rest is standard and pretty tame. A few steep sections on both but no real nasty climbs. If you take it easy with rest and chat stops it will take you around 3-4 hours.

HAHAHA no its not as technical as anything in wales. It is great for the area it's in but it's a flat area.

It's a nice pedal and some good fun flowy bits on, just watch out for those little round stones that collect in the corners they can be like marbles!