New/used forks on a budget - £100?

Richtea70
Richtea70 Posts: 107
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Just bought my first FS, a 2008 GT Idrive 5. Really pleased with it as good nick, and was a good price. However the only fly in the ointment is that the stock forks have been removed and replaced with a set of Omega RST's.

I gather that these are pretty much bottom of the range forks, so I'm on the look out for a new set but only have about £100 to spare. Is it worth me trying to upgrade these at the moment or should I just carry on with them 'until they bust or could I get a decent (used) fork for about £100?

Thanks,
Rich
GT Idrive
Trek 6300
GT Chucker

Comments

• ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    You could look at these
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRETK/ro ... th-lockout.
    I know my brother has these on his spesh hardtail and they're pretty good for the money.

But it may be worth you using what you have for a bit saving up a few £'s and spending a bit more on something better.
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • Richtea70
    Thanks for the comments.

Been out with the bike today and despite my reservations the forks weren't too bad so I think I'll stick with them for now and save up a bit more for now.

Thanks again.
    Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What forks are on there?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Now Omega RST's he said.
    Think they came out with Recon 318's - 120mm?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, indeed.

Standard Omegas, I am afraid to say are poor. Have no rebound damping at all. To get the bike working as well as the very capable rear, I would upgrade.
  • Richtea70
    supersonic wrote:
    Ah, indeed.

Standard Omegas, I am afraid to say are poor. Have no rebound damping at all. To get the bike working as well as the very capable rear, I would upgrade.

Any suggestions? I really am a noob when it comes to fork capability (and most other things!).

Thanks,
    Rich
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    pm Supersonic - he had some decent forks for around £95 if I remember correctly.
    The ones linked above are much better than what you have (Recon Silver) but I think your bike originally had 120mm forks, not 100mm)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tank121
    tank121 Posts: 201
    My Recon Silvers arrived yesterday to replace my Suntour XC
  • Richtea70
    Tank,

Let me know how you get on with your Recon's

Rich
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    cooldad wrote:
    Now Omega RST's he said.

They had 130mm custom Halfords thingies, so anything between 120mm-140mm will work.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Richtea70
    thel33ter wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Now Omega RST's he said.

They had 130mm custom Halfords thingies, so anything between 120mm-140mm will work.

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that I cant fit 100mm forks, or if I do it will alter the geometery of the frame significantly?

Rich
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    It depends on axle to crown length, but I wouldn't go shorter than 120mm on that bike, as it will make it about 1.5° steeper than intended if you put a 100mm fork on
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Richtea70
    thel33ter wrote:
    It depends on axle to crown length, but I wouldn't go shorter than 120mm on that bike, as it will make it about 1.5° steeper than intended if you put a 100mm fork on

Excellent, thank you just the info I need. I'll look out for some 120mm then.

Might put a note in the wanted section, thanks to everyone for all the help,

Rich
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker