Comedy suggestions for youtube

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Not having lived in the UK for 13 years I'm a bit out of touch when it comes to comedy shows/performers. I live in Germany where the sense of humour is (he says diplomatically) different to ours. Anyone have any suggestions as to shows and comedians I could watch on youtube? Of course, I'm familiar with "old" shows such as One Foot, Fools and Horses, Black Adder etc and am looking for more current stuff. Here are things I like and have seen:

All the Steve Coogan stuff (from early Alan Partridge to The Trip, Brass Eye, Day Today etc)
Chris Morris, Armando Iannucci
Peep Show
Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr
Ricky Gervais (podcasts, series and stand up)
Louis CK and Doug Stanhope (from the US)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    You only need to ask certain questions on here to get pure comedy gold...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • neilo23
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    You only need to ask certain questions on here to get pure comedy gold...

Love n hugs

DD

Gold?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Local phrase meaning good comedy, the best off the cuff remarks type that get taken the wrong way resulting in much hilarity...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    not sure how I came across it

easy now!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwy0u91 ... re=related
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Along the Chris Morris lines- Julia Davis' shows: "Nighty Night" and "Human Remains". Nathan Barley, also.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228
    Stuart Lee?

Hardly popular mind...

Anyway, my experience is that Germans are hilarious! Just not when it's forced, like, say, on stage.
  • neilo23
    estampida wrote:
    not sure how I came across it

easy now!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwy0u91 ... re=related

That's amazing. I won't ask how you stumbled across that.
  • neilo23
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Local phrase meaning good comedy, the best off the cuff remarks type that get taken the wrong way resulting in much hilarity...

Love n hugs

DD

I understood what you meant (can still do English talking). Just thought that gold was a bit of an exageration :-)
  • neilo23
    Stuart Lee?

Hardly popular mind...

Anyway, my experience is that Germans are hilarious! Just not when it's forced, like, say, on stage.

Thanks for that. Just watched a bit of his stand-up vids. And you're right. The Germans do have a very good sense of humour. I just can't get into their comedy as it's not (imo) very comical.
  • Bill Bailey, stand up = awesome, in TV shows = Awesome, he's epic. Speaking of things German...

Not alive, not British, ever funny, Bill Hicks.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    IT Crowd and Black Books are two of the better recent sitcoms.

Lee Mack does some very good stand-up material, and his sitcom Not Going Out is worth watching (skip the first series, though). Bill Bailey is probably the best mainstream comedian at the moment.
  • Crispybug
    Crispybug Posts: 58

Not alive, not British, ever funny, Bill Hicks.

I was in the audience for that Bill Hicks show, turned out to be his last stand up show before his tragic and untimely death. With the exception of Richard Pryor the funniest stand up comedian ever!!
    Mad as a box of badgers
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    "The Germans ........ they started it."

"No we didn't!"

"Yes you did, you invaded Chekoslovakia ......."

This one is good Grandad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco

How about the new Paul Whitehouse, Charly Higson radio phone in show on Radio 4 6:30pm tuesday evenings. This evening's topic was poetry. The encumbent dj is Simon Dee brother of Jack. It is quite funny.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    neilo23 wrote:
    Not having lived in the UK for 13 years I'm a bit out of touch when it comes to comedy shows/performers. I live in Germany where the sense of humour is (he says diplomatically) different to ours. Anyone have any suggestions as to shows and comedians I could watch on youtube? Of course, I'm familiar with "old" shows such as One Foot, Fools and Horses, Black Adder etc and am looking for more current stuff. Here are things I like and have seen:

All the Steve Coogan stuff (from early Alan Partridge to The Trip, Brass Eye, Day Today etc)
    Chris Morris, Armando Iannucci
    Peep Show
    Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr
    Ricky Gervais (podcasts, series and stand up)
    Louis CK and Doug Stanhope (from the US)

Thanks for any suggestions.

He's an arse.

Out of your list Peep Show stands head shoulders above all else. Maybe you should add Larry David Curb Your Enthusiasm one of Ricky Gervais' heroes.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • eskimo Joe
    eskimo Joe Posts: 764
    2nd for peep show and curb your enthusaism. Curb can a bit hit and miss sometimes but when it hits its sheer brilliant!!!
    2 scottish ones from Ford Keiran and Greg Hemphill, Chewin the fat and the spinoff sitcom Still Game, one of the allm time great sitcoms!!
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Neilo, have you seen Alan Partridge's latest radio show on Fosters' youtube channel?

12 episodes all ~10-13mins in length. Gold.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Slightly dated in some ways now but Game On was pretty funny, and has some nice eye candy for the not so funny moments.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,228
    Whoever said Curb your Enthusiasm then - absolutely. Excellent TV.

Also, try newswipe or screenwipe with Charlie Brooker

It's all over youtube and I love it

Then again, it's taking the p!ss out of UK TV so it may not work so well if you don't watch any of it. (Then again, it does give you the chance to lift some pithy and obscene comments about TV programmes so you sound like you know what you're talking about in the pub)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    still game is class. britains hardest boozer episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCkboxDB3nY

or the craiglang heckler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wNybXsi ... re=related
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    The Inbetweeners - I can watch all 3 series over and over :lol:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    the brilliant we are klang

dancing horse episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DauhdOJp8fA
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Spaced (my fave along with Father Ted)

The Mighty Boosh (better on radio)

Max & Paddy

Benidorm

Shameless
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Shameless
    +1

Though make sure you get the UK version, the US version pilot made me want to cry and I dared not carry on watching for fear of putting my monitor through in anger at what they did to such a fine piece of TV. /disgust
  • neilo23
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Neilo, have you seen Alan Partridge's latest radio show on Fosters' youtube channel?

12 episodes all ~10-13mins in length. Gold.

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I'll have a look whilst eating my tea.

Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas rolling in to bring a smile to a grumpy old git's face.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    the thick of it - malcolm tucker is one of the all time great comedy characters.

the inbetweeners - a bit like teenage version of peep show, very funny
  • neilo23
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. They'll keep me going for a while (only for a while as half of the things "are not available in my country", according to the annoying message).
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Trailer park boys.