Stickers

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
I entered a triathlon last year and had to put a race number sticker on my helmet and it is still there.
How do you remove stickers, I don't want to make the helmet melt with a solvent. More importantly this year I have a carbon bike and do not want to put a sticker on it.
Please keep your answer clean but where do you put your sticker and how do you remove it afterwards.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have found that the best thing is to get the sticker off as soon after the event as possible (probably doesn't help you now though). if you do act promptly then just some soapy water will get rid of most residue. I must admit though, like you I wouldn't want to use solvent on the helmet or carbon but I don't know what else would work??
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Take a small safety pin and fix it to your jersey (leave the backing paper on). Marshalls are usually happy if you call out your number as you ride past.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/sticky-stuff- ... oduct/8976

Also makes the gruppo come up nice and shiny.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    At some triathlons they tell you where the bike sticker has to go but if they don't, wrap it round a cable. I normally go for the rear brake cable, just above the caliper.
  • Take a roll of Masking Tape put that under the sticker at end of event peel off immediately.

Remember the sticker will be cheap and use a nasty glue.

Never allow someone to put a sticker on your frame.

Real cyclists PIN their numbers on
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Take a roll of Masking Tape put that under the sticker at end of event peel off immediately.

Remember the sticker will be cheap and use a nasty glue.

Never allow someone to put a sticker on your frame.

Real cyclists PIN their numbers on

Couldn't agree more. The glue is awful, I did try to remove the sticker from my helmet with water and tlc, but I can still see it. I did try to remove it ASAP. I'm only posting now as I marked a relatively cheap helmet and have no desire to damage a more expensive bike. For the triathlon I did, they insisted 1 sticker went around the seat post, I had number a belt with numbers front and back and one on your helmet. It's the one on the bike that worries me more.
    Having said all that as it was my first tri I was very conscientious and followed all the rules. It was raining and a lot of cyclist claimed the sticker wouldn't stick :shock: I think some didn;' wan sticky marks on their bikes. :?
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    to remove the remains of old stickers and their residue, smother the area in mayo leave for an hour then clean it off. Magic :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ooh, mayo, get you! Does salad cream do the same? :)
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    ooh, mayo, get you! Does salad cream do the same? :)

yes but in a more downmarket council estate kind of way :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Rub the area you are going to stick the sticker to with vaseline or similar, eg chamois cream. Wipe off thoroughly and then apply sticker. Peel off at end of race.

The grease stops the cheap glue from forming a solid bond and allows it to peel off.

Chris
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    deffler wrote:
    to remove the remains of old stickers and their residue, smother the area in mayo leave for an hour then clean it off. Magic :wink:

You shouldn't put mayo on a carbon frame though. I've heard it will cause structural damage.