How do you rate the Kryptonite Fahg?

theboykidney
theboykidney Posts: 95
edited March 2011 in Workshop
So I may have to do this course in east London, and on the website of the place, they recommend not bringing and locking expensive bikes outside due to some thefts in the past.
I have a Kryptonite NY Fahgetaboutit, with a Kryptonite wire to go round the front wheel. I'd consider my set up pretty secure, but wondering what you guys think about it. Would you risk it?
Cheers,
TBK

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    hotspot in one of the bike thieving capitals, tbh i've be nervous

there are vans with blokes and tools who go looking for nice bikes

the cable won't last 30 seconds (speaking from bitter experience), only takes a small tool

unless you can fix the position to protect it, the d-lock can be jacked/cut pretty fast as well, that may seem a bit overt, but most passers-by will not bat an eyelid, if they do - "gawd, i'm such a plank, lost my key now i'm having to cut my own lock off, it's a laugh init, ha, ha, blah blah" - and away goes your bike

even with good locks, if the saddle/post is nice, then it only takes a few seconds with a hex key, same for a few other parts

but if you've got good locks, bomb proof insurance, and fancy a new bike, then it's not such a risk
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Obviously the above poster is unaware that the Fahg is not a D-lock, but a massively heavy chain. I have one myself and trust it, although I would hate to carry it around with me. I use mine to keep my bikes secure in my (locked) shed.

Even with that ruddy great chain I have to say I'd be nervous leaving my bike unattended in a high theft area if for no other reason than all the components that can be picked off it.

Pitlock locks help with quick release wheels, seatposts and headsets, but there is a lot that can still be cleaned off.

Human nature is not pretty.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    If you need to lock a bike up on the streets in London, you need a shitty bike that thieves will ignore.

Hoopdriver - he might mean the beefy mini u-lock version with the same/similar name.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    edited March 2011
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Obviously the above poster is unaware that the Fahg is not a D-lock, but a massively heavy chain. I have one myself and trust it, although I would hate to carry it around with me. I use mine to keep my bikes secure in my (locked) shed.

Even with that ruddy great chain I have to say I'd be nervous leaving my bike unattended in a high theft area if for no other reason than all the components that can be picked off it.

Pitlock locks help with quick release wheels, seatposts and headsets, but there is a lot that can still be cleaned off.

you are wrong, "New York Fahgettaboudit" is a brand name kryptonite uses for locks (as well as for lock+chain sets)...

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/OutletPr ... 0&pid=1095

after several others, the nyfahg chain gets cut with big bolt cutters, both sides of the link broken in under 30 seconds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpf35C7wu6Q

i've also got one, with the chain, i too use it only to secure a bike in a shed, too bloody heavy and not secure in these wicked days

on the street i use a xena xul, much tougher!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    First I wouldn't leave any nice bike unattended locked or unlocked in a dodgy area.

The one time I couldn't take my Brompton with me was into my post grad graduation ceremony. I was forced to leave it outside locked up with a Kryptonite D-lock to a Sheffield stand under CCTV cameras outside Senate House in Malet Street in Central London. When I came out my Brompton was gone, but I still had the saddle as I had removed it and they left the busted Kryptonite D-lock. I have never felt so ill as I was really attached to that bike. Tourmalet, Aubsique and Soulor flashed through my mind. Soooo thoughtful these b4stard bike thieves. I'll not touch Kryptonite locks ever again even with a barge pole. I now use a couple of Abus Granit X-Plus 54 D-locks. Touch wood means my bike has remained where I left it and also unmolested. So they have deterrent effect as well it would seem. Thieves hopefully look at it and think there are far easier bike locks, chains and cables to break or snip, lets move on, easier pickings elsewhere.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The Fagh is a good lock, but can be tricky to fit - I've got the mini, so goes through rear triangle and wheel just above the brakes and round a sheffield stand - bit of a squeeze but nothing is getting in to jack it off. I don;t think the lesser NY locks are that good, but the mini Fagh is as good as the ABUS Granite X 54

I also use an Abus Bordo for the front wheel and a cable lock to secure the saddle.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Pitlocks don't work on seatclamps, or cup and cone wheels. They do work nicely on headsets though.

Ball bearings glued into the heads of bolts works pretty well though. As for wheels I usually just lock up my rear one and hope that the lefty up front will stop anyone bothering to steal that.