A Bib of a quandry

One Man And His Bike
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
More to do with the pad actually I guess...

OK, as some will know or others don't, I've got a fairly large ride coming up in a few months, no drama there, it's going to take some hard work and lot's of effort but I'm quietly confident. I'm taking things one step at a time and trying to eliminate potential issues on the horizon as and when I can.

Currently I need to focus on placating my arse and inner thighs, as the increase in required mileage is going to hurt regardless because it's a lot of miles day after day to get to the target distance to complete the challenge, this is to be honest the one area I am worried things can go pear shaped fast and without me being able to do much about it.

I've lost 2 and a half stone since I started riding last year and it's now without doubt starting to show and is being reflected in the fit of some shorts, especially the pad area. This is good news though, well sort of, it's great for my self confidence and all that but it means I need to start replacing clothing instead of investing in bike upgrades again for a while.

So, I've been upping my miles and going through the bib shorts I have to see which ones are comfortable beyond my usual 50 mile regular ride zone and as expected the cheap Chinese fake bib shorts are launched out the back of the pack and are no good, they've earned their place in my affection for allowing me to get to where I am and are still going strong but they are not comfortable for long distances or prolonged hours on the bike. Credit where it is due, they have done a serious amount of miles and lasted but the end is nigh as I push beyond the distance they are capable of.

The shocker was the Team Wiggle shorts which I used to find so comfortable are now also out the back with the Chinese shorts as the pad is too thick for longer rides, it just wont sit right and I can't get comfortable with it and if I go down on the aero bars it's seriously unpleasant, so they are a non starter.

I did the 125 miler last week wearing the Nalini FDJ kit (Genuine) and the pad was pretty good, not 100% comfort but not killing me either, it's probably the firmest pad I own and use and seems to be of a uniform thickness. It is however from a fairly old set of bibs, the 2005 season so I'm wondering if they have changed pads and if the new ones are better or worse?

Lastly the regular DHB Earnley bib shorts, these are so so upto 75 miles, rode in them yesterday to see how they did and not as comfortable as the Nalini but more comfortable than the Team Wiggle version, odd but there you go.

Based on what I have, have ridden in and felt like I'm guessing a firmer pad works better for me, and as I am having to replace my Bib short fleet anyway I am going to go about it this time properly and get quality over quantity. Last year I needed it the other way around as the smaller distances often required more but long rides were not such an issue.

So, as I'm sure you have worked out by now I am after your views on long distance pads or makes that would be suited too riding century rides, back to back in and lots of them through summer and will not only last but also be comfortable from century one to the last of the year.

I am prepared to spend a decent amount but don't get silly and think that involves the heady insane heights of hundreds of pounds for one set, there is a budget restraint but I'd rather start the process of homework now while I am putting cash aside ready for when I can make a more informed decision.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited March 2011
    ^^^^^^^^^^ He wants to know your recommendations for padded shorts for a long ride on a reasonable budget. Oh sorry, too late, you've already read it all.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Tenna lady...

What do you mean that's not the sort you were talking about?

Love n hugs

DD :wink:
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^ He wants to know your recommendations for padded shorts for a long ride on a reasonable budget. Oh sorry, too late, you've already read it.
    Does someone charge people to read by the line around here due to cut backs or something? Or are articulated and descriptive questions to help get the correct answer something you are struggling with?

wnt me 2 txt it instd so u cn gt it fstr?

Or is this down to postcount gratification, the longer the post the more time it takes you to scroll down and waste everyones time with your reply that is a generic and obvious version of premature ejaculation but with words?
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^ He wants to know your recommendations for padded shorts for a long ride on a reasonable budget. Oh sorry, too late, you've already read it all.

Thanx for the info, couldn't be ar*ed to read it all - iv'e just finished Tolstoy's War & Peace :wink:
  • DIESELDOG
    Steady now One Man, you don't want to unleash the wrath that is Aggie...

Love n hugs

DD

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I must admit that I've never had any issues using pro team issue kit both on long rides (100 miles plus), multi day races or commuting/training) - if you look around you can find it in the sales to make the cost palatable and just ignore anyone that says that you haven't earned the right to wear 3 year old F de J. It gets even cheaper when you tie in in with random discounts that turn up in emails.

It also means that if you fall off and trash it you've only trashed some team kit from, say, PBK, and not a pair of Assos that cost £150. You can also wear it through winter without crying when you see that you've trashed it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Assos (or equivalent make for sake of argument) shorts are lovely. If they are anything like my Assos jacket in quality, fit and performance, then I am sure that they are worth every penny, but I have no money as my wife has spent it all. Again.

HTH

Y
  • Appreciate the response Yossie, thanks.

Which team/manufacturer have you used on longer rides? More interested in the pad used than your choice of team loyalties. :)
  • Yossie
    edited March 2011
    Nalini and Castelli generally.

I used to have a lovely pair of Nalini Brioches la Boulangére that got me through a day 10 job in Vietnam a few years ago - now they were lovely. Fell apart at the end of this winter after 5 years use. Can't fault them for the EURO40 or whever it were they would have cost someone.

if anyone knows of any kicking around then please shout. Black with the red writing on white slash down the legs. (2006 maybe?)

Y
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^ He wants to know your recommendations for padded shorts for a long ride on a reasonable budget. Oh sorry, too late, you've already read it.
    Does someone charge people to read by the line around here due to cut backs or something? Or are articulated and descriptive questions to help get the correct answer something you are struggling with?

Or is this down to postcount gratification, the longer the post the more time it takes you to scroll down and waste everyones time with your reply that is a generic and obvious version of premature ejaculation but with words?

Here's some advice for you. This is 'Cake Stop' where we all have a sense of humour. If you haven't got one perhaps you should post such queries here.

Good luck replacing your "bib short fleet" :roll:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    brin wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Thanx for the info, couldn't be ar*ed to read it all - iv'e just finished Tolstoy's War & Peace :wink:

Brin - please refrain from posting humorus replies in Cake Stop just to up your post count.

And that's one more for me!
  • DIESELDOG
    Aggieboy wrote:
    brin wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Brin - please refrain from posting humorus replies in Cake Stop just to up your post count.

Post count or something humorous? :wink:

Love n hugs

DD

• Aggieboy
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    brin wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Post count or something humorous? :wink:

Love n hugs

DD

Tht dpnds on whthr uv aclly gt a snse of hmr I spse.
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    Here's some advice for you. This is 'Cake Stop' where we all have a sense of humour. If you haven't got one perhaps you should post such queries here.

Good luck replacing your "bib short fleet" :roll:
    I can read and don't object to doing so, I have a very good sense of humour and one that works on many levels, you are failing to set it off on all of them. Epic fail on your behalf so maybe you should relocate to somewhere more suited to your talents of repeating the obvious or being of little use should a conversation for adults arise?

I viewed the available choices of forums, read their descriptions and thought here would be the ideal forum for some light hearted banter while discussing a subject close to all our arses but still somewhere I could get the information I sought.

You provide no banter nor relevant information, if I knew I had to set a trail to lead the forum idiot off elsewhere first I would have posted a thread pitched at your level before I posted this, live and learn I guess.
  • Aggieboy
    I must be doing something right, I've had more responses to my humour than you :D. Added to your "bib short fleet" yet?
  • *pats you on the head*

Who's a good little wannabe troll, yes yes, you are, there there, go fetch...
  • Yossie
    Currently running a set of last year's Caisse D'Epargne (sic) (I think offhand that they are, again, Nalini): nice and soft, yet to test them on a really long ride but up to, say 60/70 miles I've had no problems at all.

Evans were knocking them out for about £30 to the average ounter last year if I remember rightly.
  • DIESELDOG
    I'm gonna grab me some popcorn and get comfy...

Love n hugs

DD

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    If all shorts are uncomfortable, it may be your saddle that's the problem...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Aggieboy wrote:

To be fair, I started reading the original post and gave up and suspect I wasn't the only one. You're far more likely to get a helpful response if you get straight to the point. My own choice of shorts would be Giordana. The Silverlines are less than £50 and more comfortable than anything else I have used in that price range.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Sum ppl r 2 bsy wit wrk 2 b able 2 rd it all.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Endura FS260 Pro if you're normal size, Assos Mille if you're aiming to be a super-skinny racing snake by the time of the event.
  • Rushie wrote:
    Endura FS260 Pro if you're normal size, Assos Mille if you're aiming to be a super-skinny racing snake by the time of the event.
    Cruising gently down from my current 13 & a half stone to 11 and a half or 11 stone depending how it suits me and feels when I get back there. I've not been that weight since I was in the Army and the role I did in the forces was very different from whats required to ride long distance.

Thanks for the info, I shall add that to the list of items that require serious investigation and reading up on.

Thanks also Pross. =]
  • Aggieboy
    Rushie wrote:
    Cruising gently down from my current 13 & a half stone to 11 and a half or 11 stone depending how it suits me and feels when I get back there. I've not been that weight since I was in the Army and the role I did in the forces was very different from whats required to ride long distance.

Thanks for the info, I shall add that to the list of items that require serious investigation and reading up on.

Thanks also Pross. =]

Was that for his first two sentences or the second? Just askin'.
  • When confronted with a keyboard and a live internet connection Aggieboy sits down and prepares to make a night of it,
    So many posts to browse, so many replies to spam...
    Shame he got to the first one about nothing funny or worth his load he...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Back off Yossie/Rick-this could get interesting...more balls please
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Aggieboy
    You forgot to answer my question.
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    Oh the irony of that made writing the first post more than worthwhile.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Oh the irony of that made writing the first post more than worthwhile.

After 500 views it would appear others didn't get as far as your question either. And the answer is.....................
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    sorry but you really need to relax a bit. try yoga maybe? :shock:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    After 500 views it would appear others didn't get as far as your question either. And the answer is.....................
    You value your personal postcount and how many pageviews a thread you feel you are a star of matter over content, the quality of any response you make and are constantly trying to get a herd to follow your lead, I see.