Vitamins and supplements

Majoony2
Majoony2 Posts: 2
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
While I'm not new to cycling itself, I am new to training for a big ride. I have a London to Paris coming up in September and want to make sure I'm in the best shape possible.

I had an injury a few years back - nothing serious but came off in the ice and slammed my right knee, was out for a few weeks and then had to wear a support on it after that for about 8 months. I've not worn it for some time now but recall back in the summer, going for longer rides, it tends to ache after a while.

As I said I am cycling to Paris over 4 days (under 100 miles per day) and want to know if there are any supplements that can be taken for muscle recovery or joint lubrication while I'm training as I'm going to be getting a lot of miles in my legs.

Can anyone reccommend anything?
Thanking you in advance. :)

Comments

• andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Cod liver oil/fish oil for joints.
    Also glucosamine & chronditin might be useful
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    There are numerous vitamins/supplements on the market,have a word with your pharmacist - just avoid Spanish beef :wink:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A good old healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg and oily fish is all you need. You'll probably get enough protein form your normal food, but if not then some whey protein recovery shakes may be beneficial.
    More problems but still living....
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Glucosamine and chronditin have been shown to reduce pain if you're suffering from arthritis. Otherwise they're a waste of money. Spend your cash on a good diet, exactly as amaferanga suggests.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    amaferanga wrote:
    A good old healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg and oily fish is all you need. You'll probably get enough protein form your normal food, but if not then some whey protein recovery shakes may be beneficial.
    +1

The oily fish'll give you the oils and protien. I keep a stock of tins of mackerel, sardines and herring (in brine) for a snack after a ride.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    As others have said, Cod liver oil for the joint lubrication.

You might also want to look at Vitamin E (http://www.pharmas.co.uk/vitamin-e-400iu.html) which can help prevent against muscle damage during exercise. Also Co-Enzyme Q10 (http://www.pharmas.co.uk/co-enzyme-q10-30mg.html) which was found to have similar properties in another study in Japan.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • ga1
    ga1 Posts: 59
    Mister W. Interested in your comments re Glucosamine and chronditin, as I have been recommended to take these by my physio, following a dislocated knee injury, minor operation etc.

Is the info re: only really any use for arthritis in a report. Could you post a link etc.

I don't want to be buying and taking them for the sake.

Thanks

Alan
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Unfortunately you have to plow through the unfounded claims before finding real science, or word your google searches carefully. There's a Cochrane review that looks at studies using glucosamine for treating arthritis. This link http://www.bestbets.org/bets/bet.php?id=979 also summarises a number of studies. This article
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=27 is useful. If you google "glucosamine bad science" you'll get loads of interesting web pages. Again, try and look at the science based sites if you want reliable information.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    As others have said the usual fish oil combos others say diet but if you don't like fish then they are a good alternative.

I have had good results with a product called mega cissus.

You could also try getting in to a routine of maybe icing your knee after a long ride to help reduce any swelling that may occur, it may help to reduce the aching and allow you to ride more frequently.

Be careful overdoing it though you don't want to be in worse shape with your knee before the ride.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    snake oil
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    +1 I think it was Charlton Heston who said "Americans have the most expensive p***s in the world".
    The older I get the faster I was
  • ga1
    ga1 Posts: 59
    MisterW

Many thanks for that

Alan