FinishLine Ceramic Wax Lube

AndyF16
AndyF16 Posts: 506
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Can anyone tell me what the longer term routine is with this product please? Applied to new bike and left for a few days, then reapplied just before first real ride

Chain and cassette remain pretty clean, but what now - wipe down and reapply (if so how often?) or leave well alone? Sorry if it's a bit of a dim question! Thanks in advance
2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I just re-apply about once a week. Once a month I'll scrape any build-up off the jockey wheels and chainrings and maybe give the chain a wipe down if it's looking a little grubby. Generally I use it as a low-maintenance summertime option. :)
  • Keep lube inside (warm) - shake more than you think is needed before applying and most importantly apply after a ride not before. This allows it to solidify. Every 150--200 miles I find. As the product builds up this can reduce somewhat

Applying individual drops to each chain link will keep the chain reasonably clean.

forget it when wet.

I remain surprised at how little the chain wears when using this stuff.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've just switched from my gloopy winter lube to the wax based Squirt stuff. So far. so shiny! Once a week seems more than enough.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I have not used this wax lube, but tried a few. Wax lube is not for UK conditions IME.

Just makes chains rust. Seems great for cali weather, but any splash takes teh wax off.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I use Finish Line Pro Ceramic. Good stuff. I take chain off periodicially, degrease, rinse/wash/dry and then re-lube in/over a robust food tray. Then hang it up to dry above so drips fall back in, then re-apply the lube periodically several times over as many hours. Allow to dry. Refit chain. It helps to have a SRAM quick link. Also clean the sprockets, jockey wheels and front chain rings if need be.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.