Tyre sealant for road tubs?

aguillar
aguillar Posts: 21
edited March 2011 in Workshop
I've a goodly few of the old corsa cx tubs but have a history of puncturing in road races. Suspect they are pre kevlar belt era. Some are already punctured and I'm sick of sending them off for repair.
There are loads of tyre sealants available but other than vittoria pit stop they all seem to be for tubless rather than tubular tyres.
I'm after something to fix my existing punctures and to prevent further punctures. Ideally the sealant would not dry out after just a few months too!
Suggestions please?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The two main ones are Tufo and Stans - either work on the same principle in that they congeal in contact with air. I've used Tufo on Vittorias with success although it's formulated for butyl inners, not latex. My mate used Stans. In both cases, anything bigger than a mm or so is going to cause problems.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • aguillar
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The two main ones are Tufo and Stans - either work on the same principle in that they congeal in contact with air. I've used Tufo on Vittorias with success although it's formulated for butyl inners, not latex. My mate used Stans. In both cases, anything bigger than a mm or so is going to cause problems.

Cheers MD! Reading up on tufo and stans I feel stans might be the better option for me perhaps.
    Should I keep treated tubs inflated at all times so the inner doesn't get all stuck together?
    How long might it last?
    How much to put in given this is for road racing not riding a mountain bike tyre over a bed of nails on a utube vid?
  • Monty Dog
    Recommended dosing comes with each - can't remember offhand. The trick is getting it inside the tyre without getting it on everything else - the best solution is to unscrew the valve core, hang the tyre up with the valve about 4 o'clock and inject slowly using a large syringe and a large-bore canula - unless you know a friendly horse-vet you may have trouble getting hold of the latter! Agree about keeping the tyres inflated - I've got tubs that haven't dried out in a few years as long as they're air-tight i.e. valve closed.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Vittoria CX tubs have always used latex inner tubes. Tyre sealants only work with butyl inners.
  • Monty Dog
    Plenty of people are happy to use Stan's in CX tubs - Stan's is latex-based and therefore should be OK for Vittorias. I've yet to get a puncture on my Vittoria CXs in 2 years - perhaps I'm just lucky?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Plenty of people are happy to use Stan's in CX tubs - Stan's is latex-based and therefore should be OK for Vittorias. I've yet to get a puncture on my Vittoria CXs in 2 years - perhaps I'm just lucky?

oh.. this is interesting....

I thought that if you used a sealant in a latex inner tube and it deflated over time, the latex sealant would stick the inner tube together which would be the end of the tube, hence why i have not done it in my Vittoria Pave and Evo CX tubs.

Am i understanding correctly that i can put Stans into my good tubs without it causing the inner tube to bond to itself when it (eventially) deflated cause it is latex?

Ta
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    moonshine wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I thought that if you used a sealant in a latex inner tube and it deflated over time, the latex sealant would stick the inner tube together which would be the end of the tube, hence why i have not done it in my Vittoria Pave and Evo CX tubs.

Am i understanding correctly that i can put Stans into my good tubs without it causing the inner tube to bond to itself when it (eventially) deflated cause it is latex?

Ta

anyone.......?
  • aguillar
    moonshine wrote:

Ta

I'd love the answer to this one too!
    I did read somewhere that you need to keep your tubs inflated permanently once treated to avoid problems, confirmation would be nice.
    Can you replace the entire inner tube in a tub or is that a nightmare? Now they are £50 a pop I'd have thought more attention would be paid to keeping them going...