Freewheel Fubar

thiscocks
thiscocks Posts: 549
edited March 2011 in The workshop
Riding home lastnight on my ss and on a flat part of road I loose pedal power, look down and my freewheel has totally disasembled it's self with the sproket hanging down over the hub! Pretty amazed at first then I stop and realise most of the pawls have come out also.

12 miles from home and no phone I realise I had better go and look for the remaining pawls as there is just one left with (thankfully) most of the pawl springs still in place. I managed to find two of the pawls further down the road so then start to assemble it as a 3 pawl freewheel (was 6). After alot of swearing for 30 min I manage to slide the body over the springed pawls (absolute ball ache) using the inside ballbearing race to clamp them down initially. Worked ok riding back but was reluctant to push hard on it going up hills.

My question is how the hell did it manage to unscrew its self? I bought the freewheel new mid-last year and is a good quality one (so I thought) which I haven't tampered with since I put it on the bike. This is the type (18t) - http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/117053.html

As you look at it in the photo, the screw ring with the writing on holds it all together and it was that part which had come loose and somehow unscrewed it's self.. It unscrewed again going home after I put it backtogether but luckily noticed before it totally came out of the thread.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I just dont understand how that ring could have unscrewed.

Do you think I could try and get another from the makers if I complain?

sorry for the essay,
Tim

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sounds like you did well to avoid a 12 mile walk home! No idea why the freewheel disassembled, and it is certainly not a cheap model that you bought. When my Shimano freewheel (£15) wears out I plan to treat myself to a White Industries one.

*Heads off to pour sand into current freewheel*
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would imagine that ring should be loctited in place and perhaps wasn't, or the surfaces were oily?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.