Campagnolo V Shimano V SRAM shifters

TheJackal
TheJackal Posts: 169
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Aware that I may be opening a can of worms here but as a seasoned MTBer who's thinking of getting a road bike, what is the overall difference between the shifters from the big three.

For MTBing I much prefer SRAM's 1:1 cable changing ratio, that is to say the reduced length of travel that the cable has to travel to effect a change compared to Shimano.

Is there an equivalent on Road shifters?

Any basic advice on how you change gear with each of the systems, would also be gratefully received.

BUT let's not get into the archetypal Campy's better than Shimano, Canon is better than Nikon, Apple is better than Microsoft and my Dad's bigger than your Dad kind of thang, please, hey?
2012 Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 19 lbs
2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    If you like SRAM on the MTB, you ll like it on the roadie too...

Shimano levers higher than Sora (equiv. Deore) have two levers for braking and shifting. Push the brake/gear lever to shift up (pull cable) and push the little inside lever to shift down

SRAM have one lever for shifting, push it a short way to change down and a long way to change up (sounds strange but so did having two thumb levers remember ?! :wink:). Yes it does have 1:1 shifting and the lever throw is shorter as a result...

Not used Campag personally but usually there is a lever behind the brake lever to shift up and a thumb lever to the side of the brake hood to change down. I have tiny girl hands so can never reach the levers properly on Campag
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'd get yourself to a shop and try them all out - most people's preference mainly boils down to hand position/comfort, rather than gear change ability. Having said that, Campag change is quite clunky and positive, whereas the shimano tends to feel smoother - I've only properly used SRAM on my mountain bike so can't give you a decent comment on that. Another conisderation is how many chainrings you want to run - Campag levers will do a double and a triple, whereas Shimano won't (or at least that was the case last time I checked)

And for the record, Nikon is better than Cannon. :lol:
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    The shape/comfort of the hoods should also be noted. For me shimano and Campag feel very comfortable, SRAM not at all. You spend more time holding the hoods than changing gear.

Bottom line is try them for an extended run if you can as the possible discomfort and personal niggles of using each system may not be instantly apparent.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm in the same position as you and went ot the local Evans to try some (only sitting on the bikes in the shop at this stage).

Main thing I noticed was I much preferred the shape/fit of the Shimano and SRAM hoods, the Campag Veloce hoods felt to small and cheap to me.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    Hand position/comfort is important too - As said i have tiny girl hands and SRAM fit me well. i think whoever designs SRAM kit must have hands the same shape as me cos it all just fits....

SRAM road kit has the same CHUNK noise/feel as SRAM MTB stuff too wheras the Shim stuff has the same slow but smooth and silent feel...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    have a feel and make your own mind up.

like asking what colour - they are all good, buy what works for you.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    have a feel and make your own mind up.

like asking what colour - they are all good, buy what works for you.
  • I agree that trying them all out for yourself is the best thing you could do. Everyone's experience and preferences will be different and may not translate to what you like.

For example, I find Shimano hoods to be horribly uncomfortable and I don't like the feel of their shifts, but others have stated they think they are comfortable and they like the smooth shifting action. I personally like a clunkier shift so I can feel confident the mechanism engaged properly, which is why I like Campy and Sram shifters.

I was initially worried about the thumb shifter on Campy shifters because I have small hands, but if the shifters are positioned properly it shouldn't be a problem. Generally people have problems with the thumb shifter if they didn't set the shifters on the bar as prescribed in the installation instructions.

I can also say the difference between the types of shifting also comes down to preference. When it comes down to how you shift I find it is easy to get used to any system. I do like having separate levers for each function, which is why I like Campy the most, but they are all fine and easy to get used to. One thing I have never liked though is that Shimano uses the brake lever as one of the gear shifting levers, as I prefer the brake lever only handle the braking and braking feels a bit weird to me on shimano shifters when the brake lever moves a bit. I haven't had issues with accidentally shifting, but it just makes me feel a bit less confident in the brakes.

So obviously my own preference is more toward Campy/Sram, but you may find you love Shimano, Campy, or Sram for a variety of reasons, or you may end up being indifferent and being fine with anything.
  • TheJackal
    Thanks for all contributions.

Sounds like I may steer clear of Shimano as I do like a definite clunk with my changes and the shorter I've got to move the shifter the better but I will try to get to try out a couple if I can find a "Road" shop around here.

Have been comparing Compy Chorus and above to SRAM Force and above but the price differential is probably at least £200 for the groupset. Merlin have got Chorus for £720 for instance but I can get SRAM Force imported for about £525.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I may be wrong as I didn't use them back to back but I felt the lever throw for a multi shift on SRAM is greater than that of other levers, particularly the newer dura ace for example. Try it but I wouldn't get hung up on the short shift thing. The multi shift also felt far less precise on SRAM than Campag or shimano. There was this mushy, spongy area at the end of the lever throw where i never really knew what shift I would get, 1,2,3?

Seriously just go try them.
  • Anonymous
    I spotted another problem this afternoon when I visited another branch of Evans:

Just because a bike has a certain groupset, doesn't mean all the parts on will be from that particular groupset.

The Willier I tried with what I thought were Veloce shifters (and didn't like), were completely different shifters to a Colnago Ace equiped Veloce (which I liked).

Both bikes are supposed to be the Veloce editions, but completely different shifters?
  • Given that buying components is a big investment, it seems like a good idea to take price differences into account, but if you can afford either one I would say go with whatever feels right to you.

There is no use in saving/spending money if you end up wishing you went with the other option.

Sram is much simpler as you use one paddle to do all of the shifting, and you may like the feel of their hoods. Campy gives you a lever for every function, and you may like their hoods as well.

I say give each one a try if you can. Chances are one will feel better to you then the other, and I would go with whichever one that is, as you won't regret your purchase. If neither one makes much of a difference to you, then go for the cheaper one as there will be no real reason to spend more money.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    There is more of a solid feel to Campagnolo changes. And once set-up, Campag will run faultlessly ... until the end of time. Well, not quite.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,849
    TheJackal wrote:
    Thanks for all contributions.

Sounds like I may steer clear of Shimano as I do like a definite clunk with my changes and the shorter I've got to move the shifter the better but I will try to get to try out a couple if I can find a "Road" shop around here.

Have been comparing Compy Chorus and above to SRAM Force and above but the price differential is probably at least £200 for the groupset. Merlin have got Chorus for £720 for instance but I can get SRAM Force imported for about £525.

Can you please tell me where you can get force for that price?? Cheapest I have found is Merlin and I only need a Sram Force groupset to finish my Cervelo.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • TheJackal
    Rozzer 32,

Try totalcycling in the US on ebay.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,849
    Ahhh OK but it still makes Merlin the better choice

It's £590 on ebay plus £30 shipping. Merlin are selling at £630 with free shipping and plus the fact if anything goes wrong it would be easier going through Merlin rather than having to phone up a company in the US.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I love the shifting of my Dura ace 7800, instant,smooth and silent but HATE the shared brake/gear lever.

Having "girl like hands" the amount of times I have almost snatched the front brake when shifting on the drops have made me focus on either Campag or Sram for my next bike.

Sram will probable win, dependent on comfort levels.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    RichardSwt wrote:
    I spotted another problem this afternoon when I visited another branch of Evans:

Just because a bike has a certain groupset, doesn't mean all the parts on will be from that particular groupset.

The Willier I tried with what I thought were Veloce shifters (and didn't like), were completely different shifters to a Colnago Ace equiped Veloce (which I liked).

Both bikes are supposed to be the Veloce editions, but completely different shifters?

Veloce shifters changed from 2010 to 2011, but the change was in the inners so the shape should be the same. Or maybe the shifters were even older they could have a different shape. The current Campagnolo shape was introduced in 2009, and I still see older shifters on bikes for sale.
  • PeterBL
    RichardSwt wrote:

Veloce shifters changed from 2010 to 2011, but the change was in the inners so the shape should be the same. Or maybe the shifters were even older they could have a different shape. The current Campagnolo shape was introduced in 2009, and I still see older shifters on bikes for sale.
  • Anonymous
    PeterBL wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:

On the Willier they were relitively small and made of a hardish plsatic, the Colnago had larger hoods, made froma softer rubber and curved groves.
  • PeterBL
    RichardSwt wrote:
    PeterBL wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:

On the Willier they were relitively small and made of a hardish plsatic, the Colnago had larger hoods, made froma softer rubber and curved groves.

Sounds like the Wilier had the really old shape shifters and the Colnago had newer ones (called Ultrashift or Powershift). I have no experience with the old shape but like the new one.