Front Derailleur Clamp

rja
rja Posts: 78
edited March 2011 in Workshop
I call upon you all again for some more tech wisdom!

Trying to fit a new Campy front derailleur onto an old steel frame. The clamp's too big.

I don't have a Micrometer to measure the tube width but I know its a reynolds frame. (and the seat post is 26.2mm.)

The question - Can I get a clamp that small (ball park 28mm)? I was trying to avoid using a shim.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Rich

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    may I point you to this topic in the MTB FAqs

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12726337

but in answer to your question Yes.

28.6mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rja
    Cheers Nick,

Definitely a 28.6mm tube, (Just measured using link-thanks).

Trouble is I can't find a clamp of that size to fit the Veloce FD.
  • nicklouse
    are you wanting a mech or a band?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... h=braze+on

for adapters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rja
    Sorry I haven't been clear. I've got the Mech with clamp but the clamp is 31.8mm and I need 28.6. After a new clamp.
    DSCN3572.jpg
  • nicklouse
    make up some shims then?

are Campy clamps changeable?
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    I didn't think that any of the contemporary Campag front mechs come with clamps - they are all braze-on flavour and separate clamps are available. Only I do not think they do a clamp in 28.6.

I am guessing your Veloce FD is from an older product line. You might be able to get the exact same with a 28.6 clamp.

Be wary when running Campag gears of different ages with Ergopower shifters of differing age. If you see what I mean.
  • rja
    Thanks, I haven't found one in 28.6 and think I may have to (reluctantly) result to the shim solution.