workshop tools

SgtBash
SgtBash Posts: 13
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Heya guys, New member here so go easy on me!

I've recently found myself wanting to adjust bolts where the tri-socket head wont fit , (E.g. V-Brake arms, Centre-bridge bolts etc..)

So, i've figured that i need an 8,9 and 10mm Spanner, but who's the best/most reliable?

I've looked at Halfords professional range at around £4 per tool, fairly cheap i think, but are they any good?

Also, considering a 3rd hand type tool to save the balancing act, Pedros is cheapest, but again, any good?

Is there anything else people would recommend whilst i'm at it?

Cheers

~S.B

Comments

• woody12
    woody12 Posts: 26
    If the Halford tools are the same that come in this set:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165572

then they are really good. They also come with a life time guarantee.

I do a lot of Work on my Defender with this set and so far it's been second to none!
  • freeagent
    freeagent Posts: 98
    Yep, Halfords Pro stuff is as good as it gets without spending snap-on money.
    I've spent years pulling Landrovers apart with mine, and not broken a single tool..
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    If buying tools I would recommend screwfix, you are paying a HUGE premium for buying at halfords.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • freeagent
    freeagent Posts: 98
    Halfords pro tools compare well with Screwfix + Machine Mart on price, however the quality is right up there with the best, and the lifetime guarantee is supposed to be no-quibble, like-for-like replacement if you do break one.

I've got a roll-cab full of Teng/Britool/Halfords tools and reckon Halfords are the best compromise between quality/value/price

If you can find someone with a Halfords trade card there are discounts to be had on their tools. They also do some pretty good offers from time to time...
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Even if the Halfords prices were a little more, the guarantee is usually worth it. I used to work in a Halfords when i was younger and if ever tools did come back, they'd get swapped, no messing - even Snap-On dont offer that sort of turn around.

For general bike maintenence though, this isnt really relevant - unless you're planning on usoing the tools on other things, or on a very regular basis....
  • edwarj123
    edwarj123 Posts: 11
    For bike specific tools I got this, good price and seem to be pretty good quality:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/38 ... l-kit.html
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    Check out JustOffBase.co.uk. They stock lots of Sealey and Draper tools and a huge range of other items. Good for unusual or hard-to-find small tools, but it can be tricky to find things on their website as their search engine is pp. I've found their service very good - full tracking, delivery on time, no hassles. Maybe not the cheapest, but not too bad either.

Maybe also ToolStation but can't comment on their service. Some good stuff but as with Screwfix beware the cheap & nasties.

Wrt decent brands, Gedore is my long-time favourite for flat and ring spanners and socket sets; Sealey is also decent.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • SgtBash
    SgtBash Posts: 13
    Thankyou all for your advice, went the halfords route in the end, for all bar one of the sizes i need which they only had the "Laser" brand in,

Have heard bad things about laser so think i'll manage till then.

On the second question, anyone know if Third-Hand tools actually work beyond the item description ? :P
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they can be useful to have, but are rarely needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    SgtBash wrote:
    On the second question, anyone know if Third-Hand tools actually work beyond the item description ? :P

Sounds like a sex toy for internet chat rooms.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Personally, Snap-on..... unless your buying massive 32mm spanners, the price is reasonable and the quality is unbeatable.
    Halfords pro are top quality on a budget, still with a lifetime warranty... britool/facom etc, from watching other lads at work (im a mechanic) they wear pretty dam easily.
    Bike specific... can't beat parktool, but there the equivalent of snap-on prices.
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

Work hard . . . . Play hard !