The Flying Scotsman: BBc Sunday 11:30pm

geordieindevon
geordieindevon Posts: 127
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
I see this film is on tomorrow night...I have not seen it. Is it worth recording to watch later?

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Pretty decent, certainly worth a watch.
  • watch it, fantastic film :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Cheers Pastry boy and steady rider...will do! Will record on sky plus and watch it later in the week.

I found a link on wiki with some reviews that did not rave about the film but I always have an open mind when it comes to film reviews!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Scotsman_(film)

From what I have read in the past about Graeme Obree he seems a pretty inspirational chap, so I am looking forward to watching it!
  • no worries :) i too will Record it!! cant say no to watching it again :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • ANYTHING with Steven Berkoff in it is worth watching.
    Even brasseye :wink:
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    11.30pm, I suppose it has to be on so late in order to fit all the cr@p on earlier in the day.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • It's a very interesting and entertaining film. Moving in parts also, a sad story but one that has I would say recently come to a happier ending in some respects.

Certainly a man to be admired for his achievements of old and new.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I got it on doovde from Primera for £5 IIRC, wasn't looking for it but at that price I had to buy it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    trains?

on a cycling site?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    edited March 2011
    11.30pm, I suppose it has to be on so late in order to fit all the cr@p on earlier in the day.

And also for the powers that commission cr@p to say, 'look so few viewers,clearly little interest in cycling' So we won't bother to show cycling/ cycle racing on the 'bat and ball club' or BBC as it's known.

Much like the sailing/ Volvo occean racing too, shown in the middle of the night always, well there's no interest you see..... We would all much rather be watching 'push the dancing on ice button has talent with laxative factor' wouldn't we?!... Chewing gum for the eyes...

Just think ITV has the rights to show all the cycling classic races as well as the TDF, but doesnt bother...

Great film by the way, watch it... The portrayal of the WCF (now the UCI?) is interesting in light of recent bike approval system too....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Starting now...
  • Great film!
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Read the book, it's much better!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    First time I'd seen it, jolly good
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Watch the film and read the book too, twice as good... Simples
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    First time I'd seen it really good, even my wife enjoyed it and she's not that into cycling.

I remember being amazed when I heard he'd broken the record. At that time all the famous cyclists were, and always had been, European, and here was some wee Scots lad beating them all.

Most telling line in the whole film one of the WCF members says " We're trying to get people to buy bikes, we can't have someone build their own and break a world record"
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The book is fantastic, I am going to have visit Iplayer and view the film.

I would also mention that his recent interview with Colin Murray was truly excellent as well and Murray proved himself to be a worthy interviewer/journalist by not only keeping Obree in the studio for 30 minutes longer than he should have done but proving that he'd done his homework by asking some very searching open questions that Obree was happy to answer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    It's a great book but unfortunately the film is full of inaccuracies.

Books a must, films a maybe.

Check this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MWojw1BFs
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    It's a great book but unfortunately the film is full of inaccuracies.

That was openly acknowledged when it was made. A couple of key characters were morphed into one person for a start.

I think it captures all of the key elements of the story which is not easy in an hour and a half or so.

It's an age old argument that the film doesn't portray the book accurately. It's virtually impossible to do so without films becoming endless hours long and typically very navel gazingly self indulgent. I submit as evidence the last 45 minutes of the lord of the rings trilogy. What a waste of celluloid.
  • Managed to get around to watching this film tonight. Really good and my wife enjoyed it too.
    Not sure about how accurate the film is, especially after reading comments from those of you who have read the book, but it was well acted and beats a rom-com!! :D

Just need to buy the book now and get the "true story".

Thanks everyone for your insights...happy cycling and stay safe.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Managed to get around to watching this film tonight. Really good and my wife enjoyed it too.
    Not sure about how accurate the film is, especially after reading comments from those of you who have read the book, but it was well acted and beats a rom-com!! :D

Just need to buy the book now and get the "true story".
    Thanks everyone for your insights...happy cycling and stay safe.
    The book is great, but until a second edition is written, you will only get to read some of the "true story".