What would you have done?

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/Cyclist-assaults-female-driver-who.6740838.jp
A WOMAN driver was repeatedly punched in the face by a cyclist after fearing that she had collided with his bike and stopping to help.

I don't know if anyone knows more of the upshot of this, there is a little more detail in some other sources: but the question is really - is this sort of reaction understandable, praiseworthy, wrong, or what, when a car hits you?

Noticeable that none of the reports go very much into the possibility that she might have been in the wrong to drive into him in the first place...

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Are you seriously asking if it's ever OK to punch a woman repeatedly in the face until she requires hospital treatment? I'm just gonna go with a straight "no".
  • bompington
    afx237vi wrote:
    Are you seriously asking if it's ever OK to punch a woman repeatedly in the face until she requires hospital treatment? I'm just gonna go with a straight "no".
    Errr, I don't think I've ever asked anything on this forum completely seriously - but this, combined with psiturbo's helpful contribution on the WVM thread, did make me wonder what folks here thought.
    To give a plain and boring answer to your question, I am occasionally tempted by the same revenge fantasies as I imagine most cyclists are, but my answer is also a straight no.
  • Weird post I worry about you
  • bompington
    Oh, I worry about me too sometimes, but rest assured I'm quite normal really...
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I'm pretty sure I'd only ever punch someone (sex irrelevant) to defend myself or someone else. x100 for punching repeatedly. Pretty sure I've always stuck to that rule too. I think you'd have to be there to make a full judgement though.
    "Coming through..."
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Punching someone as she "nearly" hit you, and stopped to check if you were ok? Am im missing the point here, the driver did NOTHING wrong, and certainly nothing more than "nearly" happens to me on every ride...

Brutish behaviour from the cyclist, and I do hope he gets nicked and does some time for this.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Punching someone as she "nearly" hit you, and stopped to check if you were ok? Am im missing the point here, the driver did NOTHING wrong, and certainly nothing more than "nearly" happens to me on every ride...

Brutish behaviour from the cyclist, and I do hope he gets nicked and does some time for this.

I'm sure there's two sides to the story.

But I can't see how punching a driver is acceptable, banging on the side of the car if someone's about to squash you, maybe. But if you can punch the driver then they're probably not a threat to you, even if they're being aggressive just stop and let them past.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Bloody idiotic thing to do. At least she stopped to acknowledge her error, which is more than can be said in a lot of cases. Sounds like some dickhead pumped up on steroids with a tiny tiny penis.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I would borrow Psiturbo's "superlight" knife and skin her then remover her spine like Predator does.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    Hybrid riders eh?

From experience - getting angry at anyone on the road is self-defeating.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    Stewie-That's quite restrained of you. You should really be throwing some d batteries while you are at it......................................

AL