The Slab @ Dalbeattie

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited March 2011 in Routes
How hard is it?

Off there in the summer and watching videos of it on Youtube now and it looks difficult!

Comments

• pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    No its not difficult, it just looks it. Summer time is better because it will be dry. Well up here we mean it wont have been raining for a few hours.
    Try the 8 metre section 1st then go for it.
    Pick your line but watch the left as there is a hole that puts you off.
    The Qualifier that takes you down there is probably worse.
    If you dont do the slab then the Black short cut is a nice technical route.
  • It looks relatively smooth but when I came across it I chickened out, because I was on my own, it was late in the evening, and my stomach was churning at the thought of going over the bars. :oops: [/list]
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    the only thing hard about it is "Hesitation", that's what unnerves the rider.. I have done it twice (last Saturday was my 2nd time), it was real greasy the first time, but dry on Saturday..
    we also did the Qualifier and the Terrible Twins

here is a wee slideshow that has some pics of the slab and a rider doing his first ever run on it..

http://www.vimeo.com/21582085
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Terrible twins is far worse so not done them!

am a total woose though and have to build myself up for it every time

Take your time, control your speed without snatching brakes and keep weight back

Run off/compression at the bottom is the worst bit I think.

I also feel the qualifier is worse, steeper and more techncial IMO
  • concorde
    Ok cool. Cheers. Yeah a lot seem to go over the bars at the botttom! Too much back brake too, everyone seems to be skidding down and out of control?!
  • concorde
    Ok cool. Cheers. Yeah a lot seem to go over the bars at the botttom! Too much back brake too, everyone seems to be skidding down and out of control?!