Jockey Wheel bearings ceramic v steel

Buckled_Rims
Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Anyone hazard a guess if ceramic bearings on a jockey wheel outlast those of steel bearings. I've just noticed one of my jockey wheels has too much play so will change both upper and lower as a preventative measure but not sure which to buy.

RD is a 105.
CAAD9
Kona Jake the Snake
Merlin Malt 4

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    i've got sram red on one bike, the jockey wheels have ceramic bearings

there are clear instructions about regreasing every 100 hours (i've done it and they needed it!)

as with steel, i think it's more a question of how good the seals are than what type of bearing

fwiw i used tacx t4060 jockey wheels on a shimano rd, they were much better than the originals, ribble is doing them really cheap at the moment
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I'm not sure about modern 105, but every Shimano jockey wheel I've ever seen doesn't have any bearings at all; all they are is a pair of bushings. I use BBB Rollerboys on my bikes, I've tried both ceramic and steel but couldn't spot any difference between the two. Both are a massive improvement over the Shimano ones. Neither are particularly expensive.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Cheers. I didn't know about the Shimano 105 just using bushings. Ribble are out of stock at the mo, so just bought tacx from fleabay as I need them this week.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4