Criterium International

Ron Stuart
Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
edited March 2011 in Pro race
Don't forget this one..... http://www.steephill.tv/criterium-international/ Eurosport tonight, got some interesting guys doing it. :wink:

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I've always had a soft spot for this race. I read that Wiggins has it as a big target but that TT is so short that a climber like Sanchez, Arroyo or even Schleck (if he can be bothered to do some racing) would only need to get a relatively small time gap on the first stage to hold on to the overall as Fedrigo did last year.

We really are spoilt for racing this weekend, shame so little of it is live on TV!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Lots on RAI - GP Harelbeke, Settimana and Criterium. Pkus Track Worlds.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    on the col d'ospedale now.

windows media player stream, [url=mms://direct.francetv.fr/jt-20h.wsx]mms://direct.francetv.fr/jt-20h.wsx[/url]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Thought Frank Schleck won?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

He did
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Good win for Schleck, nice to see the brothers before April.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Downing won the second stage last year but wont this year as he and Swift both finished outside the time cut-off (unless they are let off for some reason). Charteau and Monier were eliminated too. Wiggins' chances of a decent place overall have evaporated as he lost 8.41. Maybe he backed off towards the end to save himself for the TT tomorrow.

http://s288581967.onlinehome.fr/resulta ... CRI&menu=1
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    Tactics with race radios:
    On the climb, Schleckette attacks early, stops, turns around and looks for Frank.
    Tactics without race radios:
    On the climb, Schleckette attacks early, stops, turns around and looks for Frank.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I did Col de l’Ospedale climb last summer. Stunning views, good steady gradient mostly and very scenic if you ride all the way up to the lakes at the top.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:

He did
    What happened, he didn't fall off. !!
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Didn't realise the race was in Corsica this year; very nice.
    They do say that Corsicans used to (not sure whether they still do) kidnap people; something to do with a bunch of Corsican Independence Front so if you're out in the hills getting some early sunshine then be perpared for a longer stay!!
    (Probably nothing has happened in years but there you go)

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,428
    The Corsican countryside is lovely, just a shame Bradley Wiggins seemed to be enjoying the views more than busting a gut to stay with the lead group. He might be saving a bit for the TT but he's better than 8mins lost already.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    jerry3571 wrote:
    They do say that Corsicans used to (not sure whether they still do) kidnap people; something to do with a bunch of Corsican Independence Front so if you're out in the hills getting some early sunshine then be perpared for a longer stay!!

-Jerry
    They all got off the Corsica Island after last years Crit Int without problem I think. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Interesting to see the time gaps. It looks like a lot of people sat up once they realised they'd lost a minute to Schleck and others up the front. They're out of the running for the overall so might as well save themselves for the TT. Note French favourite Jerome Coppel's got a stomach bug and couldn't ride at full speed.
    jerry3571 wrote:
    There's a strong Corsican mafia but like Italy, it's more into rigging contracts for waste, road building, cigarette smuggling and other scams. I've been there and during one week's stay saw two gangland executions. Not in front of my eyes, but roads closed off by the police and cars riddled with holes from machine gun fire and the remains of the occupants. As a tourist you can't help but stare for longer than a second but the locals all acted like it wasn't there!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    jerry3571 wrote:

-Jerry

Yeah the same thing used to happen in Tooting with the Popular Front there, that Wolfie Smith was trouble.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Wiggins came second in the TT this afternoon with Kloden taking the win while Geschke won the bunch sprint in the earlier second stage. Frank Schleck stayed upright all the way to the finish on both stages to take the overall, losing just a few seconds to Kiriyenka in the TT. Second and third overall didnt change with an undoubtedly smart performance from Geniez seeing him take fourth.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I did Col de l’Ospedale climb last summer. Stunning views, good steady gradient mostly and very scenic if you ride all the way up to the lakes at the top.

I did it two summers ago and will be back again in six weeks :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Looks like they did not take it easy on that climb. Congratulations Schleck, good on him for taking it to them and going for it. Although Frank normally puts in some decent performances unlike his bro.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Looks like they did not take it easy on that climb. Congratulations Schleck, good on him for taking it to them and going for it. Although Frank normally puts in some decent performances unlike his bro.

Really? I thought Andys win at LBL would've been the kinda race which had you nursing a sporting semi?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Tactics with race radios:
    Tactics without race radios:

That's what REALLY irritates me about those 2.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman