Coast to Coast

matsmith82
matsmith82 Posts: 2
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Hi everyone

I'm very new to cycling and am attempting to do coast to coast with some work colleagues for charity. Our original plan was to go from St Bees to Robin Hoods bay (this is a coast to coast route isn't it). I have been looking online and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of information about the specifics of this actual route.

Can anyone suggest a possible route that we may be able to follow? We will all be on road bikes so would like no sections where these would be unsuitable. Also if possible we would like to avoid busy roads if at all possible?

Any thought anyone would have on this would be greatly appreciated or if our original plan is unrealistic please any alternatives are also welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance

Matt

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try searching "coast to coast" or "c2c" on bikely.com - there's 140 listed
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • aegrey
    aegrey Posts: 15
    The st. Bees to Robin Hoods Bay Coast to Coast is the walking route, not the cycling route. Have a look at http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/ for information on the cycling route.
    Good luck! I've done it with mates and had a great time. How many days are you taking to do it? We carried our tents and the rest and camped at Greystoke and Rookhope.
    Saracen Ruftrax2 (now only for commuting, later for touring)
    Cube LTD Race 2011
    Specialized Allez Sport 27 2007
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    I did the C2C a few years ago on a road bike. Started at Whitehaven and ended at Tynemouth, with stopovers at Penrith and Rookhope. IIRC there was only one section of light off-roading between Rookhope and Consett across Stanhope Moor, but nothing particularly challenging.
  • elffy
    elffy Posts: 98
    I did the way of the roses route last week but changed it slightly so ended in Hornsea and had an overnight stop in Boroughbridge. Fantastic route.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    elffy wrote:
    I did the way of the roses route last week but changed it slightly so ended in Hornsea and had an overnight stop in Boroughbridge. Fantastic route.

A group of us are booked to do it July but heading to Brid. Looking forward to it.
  • elffy
    elffy Posts: 98
    Navrig wrote:
    elffy wrote:

A group of us are booked to do it July but heading to Brid. Looking forward to it.

You'll enjoy it especially if you get the weather. We were lucky with the weather since it was March.