Solutions to problems that don't exist

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited March 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Just seen an advert for an automatic soap dispenser. Marketed as a way to avoid getting germs on your hands from the dispenser nozzle.
Surely it makes no difference, you're using the nozzle to put soap on your hands, so they're about to be washed anyway.
Who buys this junk?

[/rant]

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I thought exactly the same thing. It's probably for parents who want to wrap their little prince and princesses in cotton wool and keep them away from the big bad world
  • When rubbing the nozzle, I guess you could somehow get germs up the nozzle into the soap itself, but even then it would just get cleaned again. Some pointless inventions people have.
  • I've seen that to, plus AFTER you wash your hands you touch the tap to turn it off, and god forbid you ever touch anything else.
    Plus you touch the bottle to refill the thing, and you touch the batterys to make the thing work. Honestly, what a pathetic world we live in. And why have people lost the ability to squeeze the trigger on an air freshener can nowadays.
    I work on a farm on the weekend and I've seen myself fall face first into a pile of cow sh!t and I'm not dead yet.
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight
  • I've seen that to, plus AFTER you wash your hands you touch the tap to turn it off, and god forbid you ever touch anything else.
    Plus you touch the bottle to refill the thing, and you touch the batterys to make the thing work. Honestly, what a pathetic world we live in. And why have people lost the ability to squeeze the trigger on an air freshener can nowadays.
    I work on a farm on the weekend and I've seen myself fall face first into a pile of cow sh!t and I'm not dead yet.

Apparently cow shi!t is more hygenic than a soap dispenser touched by the kid who ate cinammon toast crunch for breakfast.

It is a pathetic world we live, everything is obsessed with safety no-a-days-, fun plays little to no factor anymore.
  • I imagine they'll sell thousands of them too. To the same poeple whose kids will be constantly ill by the time they reach high school because they've not been allowed to develop an immune system.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    It is a pathetic world we live, everything is obsessed with safety no-a-days-, fun plays little to no factor anymore.
    At least mtbing is something that's different to that, where health and safety is how much balls you've got to attempt something. It's just a little escape. Though, don't the trail centres and the like have to go through some health and safety?
  • I imagine they'll sell thousands of them too. To the same poeple whose kids will be constantly ill by the time they reach high school because they've not been allowed to develop an immune system.
    100% true, I've only (genuinely) been off ill for 1 day in the last 2 years, all the rest were sciving because it was the last day of term (or the first day)
    My dustcap topic:
  • It is a pathetic world we live, everything is obsessed with safety no-a-days-, fun plays little to no factor anymore.
    At least mtbing is something that's different to that, where health and safety is how much balls you've got to attempt something. It's just a little escape. Though, don't the trail centres and the like have to go through some health and safety?

Health and safety rule all now. I mean jesus, if someone has a vast supply of land, and someone goes to ride there, alot of land owners will be pissed because they can get sued if the person falls. People arn't even able to admit their own accident, and blame landowners for letting them on the land.

I remember watching a top gear episode where they were about to pave a stretch of road, and try to do it in only 1 day. 20 yeasrs ago, according to Jeremy, there would have been no health and safety speeches, but there were something like 30 minutes of useless non-sense they had to say. Like if you get cut put a plaster on, or wear your hat. Pure shiiite that is.
  • getonyourbike

Health and safety rule all now. I mean jesus, if someone has a vast supply of land, and someone goes to ride there, alot of land owners will be pissed because they can get sued if the person falls. People arn't even able to admit their own accident, and blame landowners for letting them on the land.

I remember watching a top gear episode where they were about to pave a stretch of road, and try to do it in only 1 day. 20 yeasrs ago, according to Jeremy, there would have been no health and safety speeches, but there were something like 30 minutes of useless non-sense they had to say. Like if you get cut put a plaster on, or wear your hat. Pure shiiite that is.
    that really pisses me off too, if wish they put up a notice at the the entrance, 'ride here at your own risk'
  • It is a pathetic world we live, everything is obsessed with safety no-a-days-, fun plays little to no factor anymore.

That episode was really good, they played Margaret Thatcher to make the workers 'work'
    And no, people should use their brains, if you fall off it's your fault, unless it's someone else's fault.
    My dustcap topic:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Health and safety rule all now.

Rest assured, there are glimmers of hope on the horizon. And I'm not talking about lights in the sky at Hathersage.

Trial centres are one, but have a look at many city play areas for kiddies. What do you see? Skateboard furniture!

My (and your) tax-sheckles are paying to build and maintain features desgined entriely for the purpose of making kids have a laugh and potentialy hurt/cripple themselves. The council are actually supporitng kids to learn that actions may have significant and brutal consequences. Brilliant!

It's the complete antithesis to this ghastly 'sue 'em all' and wrap-'em-cotton-wool-and-kevlar mentality that seems to be indemic to our mostly-asshat society.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank-

I hadn't seen them yet, but thank god for that!

Hopefully they put a sign up at the gate saying play your own risk, other wise some parents will be sueing "because their kid did nothing wrong and was not at fault and got injured on your bench".
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Health and Safety is the sacrifice of common sense. Sadly the idiocy (or opportunism depending if there are law suits) means we all have to live with it.

I mind being told when I worked for Royal Mail about the dude they sent to Japan to purchase some automatic sorters. Part of the machine is a large rotating drum. The RM guy was shocked there was no guard covering it to which the Japanese rep replied "Our workers know not to stick their hands in it". Needless to say they arrived in the UK with guards attached to stop people doing it.
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    edited October 2016
    :idea:
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Yep, hands up I own one after my kids tried one out and "ooh Daddy can we get one? Can we? Can we?"...F@cking thing spits soap out whenever it feels like it and costs more to run than Hummer!!!

Me, suckered by kids...You, avoid like the clap!
  • getonyourbike
    Fenred wrote:
    Yep, hands up I own one after my kids tried one out and "ooh Daddy can we get one? Can we? Can we?"...F@cking thing spits soap out whenever it feels like it and costs more to run than Hummer!!!

Me, suckered by kids...You, avoid like the clap!
    :lol:
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    speaking of elf n safety, i was working in a newly bult building last year and the effort it took to get through the gates was insane. this particular establishment has one of the highest security levels in the whole nation yet getting through the front gate was considerably easier than getting in and out of the new building enclosure, not for security but for health and safety.

even when outside we had to wear gloves, hard hats, eye protection and safety boots, even though the route (a paved path) to and from where we were working was all outside and a good 10-20 metres from anything above head height.

no wonder building stuff is expensive, it took about 40 minutes a day to get in and out of the site, what an utter waste of time and effort.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    ^^^^ HnS has gone mad on construction sites

most sites i visit nowadays you need a CSCS card to get on which you need to pass a 45min exam to get. If you dont have one you have to attend a 2 hour safety lecture on site

even then i have to wear safety boots, full hi vis top and trousers, chemical gloves, safety specs and hat

ffs i only want to check the line and level of some kerbs :roll:
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    mak3m wrote:
    ^^^^ HnS has gone mad on construction sites

most sites i visit nowadays you need a CSCS card ..... If you dont have one you have to attend a 2 hour safety lecture on site

thats exctly what we had to do at the start, was exceptionally websters!
  • I can understand having to wear safety boots but everything else is just a nuisance
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I'm experiencin H&S at work as an inconvenience, I'm building some new studios, and apparently the new building regs say that a room cannot have more than 3 doors to get to a fire corridor. So I had to get the designers to go back to the drawing board as they had a drum booth door going into a vocal booth, then one into the live room, one into a lobby then one onto the fire corridor.
    Surely, in the event of a fire, one more door won't be the death of you. As the designer pointed out, when you then get on the fire corridor, you have several doors to get through to get outside!
    [/rant]
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I once had to sit through a whole week's seminar on health and safety, and apart from giving me a new outlook on the positives of suicide, all we really learnt was that Health and Safety wasn't there for our safety, it was there to make sure there was absolutely no possible way that the employer could ever accept any responsibility for anything happening to you, ever.

thekickingmule, are you having double doors to soundproof rooms? You're properly stuffed then! :lol: