Road Race - start sheet - how close to the event?

gattocattivo
gattocattivo Posts: 500
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
I've entered a 'proper' road race for later on this month. I've only raced on closed circuits before now and generally entered on the line - when I have entered in advance I've always known that I would definitely get into the race as there was no chance of it being oversubcribed. That isn't the case with the races on the open road - from what I can gather they're nearly always oversubcribed. I sent my form off about a fortnight ago and the closing date was last Sunday. I haven't heard anything yet - how long is it likely to be before I find out if I've made it onto the start list or not?

Comments

• emx
    emx Posts: 164
    you could phone/email the organiser, or wait for the start sheet, which usually arrives around a week before the event...
  • thanks
  • I'm in - woo-hoo!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    what race is it may i ask?
  • Braintree Velo Spring RR in a fortnight
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    hopefully, if i am in, see you there!!
  • I've entered a 'proper' road race for later on this month. I've only raced on closed circuits before now and generally entered on the line - when I have entered in advance I've always known that I would definitely get into the race as there was no chance of it being oversubcribed. That isn't the case with the races on the open road - from what I can gather they're nearly always oversubcribed. I sent my form off about a fortnight ago and the closing date was last Sunday. I haven't heard anything yet - how long is it likely to be before I find out if I've made it onto the start list or not?

I like to get start sheets out two weeks before an event especially if the event is fully subscribed. It gives riders the chance to make travel arrangements if necessary.
  • Right - looking for a few tips. This race is basically nearly twice as long as any race I've done before. Normally I just have one bottle of drink - will I need two? (It's just under 50 miles). I need to fit a second bottle cage if so. Also, all the road races I've done before have been on closed circuits (so you're never very far from the HQ) and so I haven't needed a pump / spare tubes with me, but when I do time trials I always take these things with me. This circuit is 10 miles long - having recently had to walk 4 miles across London after breaking a chain I'm not keen on repeating the experience - will I need to take pump/tube etc., or will there be some kind of neutral service if I puncture?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Right - looking for a few tips. This race is basically nearly twice as long as any race I've done before. Normally I just have one bottle of drink - will I need two? (It's just under 50 miles). I need to fit a second bottle cage if so. Also, all the road races I've done before have been on closed circuits (so you're never very far from the HQ) and so I haven't needed a pump / spare tubes with me, but when I do time trials I always take these things with me. This circuit is 10 miles long - having recently had to walk 4 miles across London after breaking a chain I'm not keen on repeating the experience - will I need to take pump/tube etc., or will there be some kind of neutral service if I puncture?
    You can race with your pump/tube if you want you'll probably loose 'not cool' points but hey its up to you. There's usually always a neutral service in Road Races, I'm sure the organise will confirm that. Re the drinking thing I used to obsessively fill up two bottles for all races and quite often only drank from one, even for races up to 60miles, so last season I just raced with one bottle. It depends how much you need to drink and of course how warm it is on racing day. If you finish a whole bottle during a normal crit race (av 30miles) then you better go with two in the road race. Anyways goodluck :D