The life of a student

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited March 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Just chatting to a mate who has just completed his 2nd year. A bit early I thought: apparently they have 2x11 week terms per year! 22 weeks a year? No wonder the students are complaining about fees, not getting value there...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    We have a pair of 11 week terms in which proper teaching, lab work etc is done. Then 2 weeks of revision lectures, and exams after that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    whyamihere wrote:
    We have a pair of 11 week terms in which proper teaching, lab work etc is done. Then 2 weeks of revision lectures, and exams after that.

You poor dear. Revision and exams is just inhuman.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    Some students actually don't have summer off or the normal term time off. Some of us just get a couple of weeks off a year like normal working folk...ok maybe a touch more than you workers but much less than normal students.

Pfft... :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There seems to be a huge variety depending on what you do.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I did absolutely ****-all for 3 years, and worked like a madman for a year. Way better than work :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i just got very very very drunk.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    i just got very very very drunk.

+1

Though now doing it part time whilst studying it seems to be a lot more hours :cry:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I suppose I get an alright deal, for now, but from easter 3rd year to graduation at the end of 5th year I doubt I'll be having much holiday.

The first 2 years we get 26 weeks of lectures, 2 weeks of revision, 2 weeks of exams. We then have to do 12 weeks EMS too.

3rd year we get 30 weeks of lectures plus the revision time and exams. Then 12 weeks EMS to do in the holidays

4th and 5th year we go on rotations, 4 weeks holiday each year... for EMS :roll:

Other than that it's working all the time or being examined. Annoying thing is with rotations you end up working stupid hours for a student. Full working days but then you can get called in whenever, have a friend in the hockey team who got called in at 4:30 on a Sunday morning and didn't leave until 6:30pm, that ruined his day off :roll:
  • ctrlaltdel
    ctrlaltdel Posts: 114
    In my first year I could be gloriously lazy.

The second year was a bit of an effort.

The third year we were slaves to our computers and devolved into strange creatures for whom night and day held no meaning. Weirdly enough, that final year was probably one of the most rewarding times in my life.
  • I have 3 semesters a year at my Uni, Jan-April, May-August and September-December. If I take summer classes, I officially have about 3 weeks of free time in a year outside of term.

I go to a private university which is quite expensive, but they do proper semesters and teaching methods.