Attention anyone who cycles near or through Crystal Palace

dresbo
dresbo Posts: 129
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I was almost killed again at the roundabout at the top of this hill last night. It's this one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51 ... 1&t=h&z=19

Something about the road layout means that drivers travelling West on the A212 don't look right down Fountain Drive (or slow at all) before entering the roundabout. As a cyclist coming up Fountain Drive and going right around the roundabout towards Crystal Palace, I put my life in my hands every time I attempt it.

Yesterday the car joining didn't look at all and when he saw me coming around the roundabout, didn't even slow, just went straight across inches in front of me at 30mph, swerving to avoid me even when I put my hand up waving to try and stop him (I do this daily for my own safety)

I was writing to the local authority (which I think is Bromley) to try and get them to at least put some better signs up. If you've used this roundabout and have ever had a problem or agree it's dangerous and want to support me, please tag yourself onto this thread and I'll link to it in the email as a kind-of petition.

Thanks

David

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    It's a tricky one and no mistake. I usually hit that area from Sydenham Hill (i.e. the roundabout next to that one to the left) and see the same thing happen there all the time. I imagine it's even worse at the top of Fountain Drive as you're slightly hidden from the main road as you're coming up the hill.
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    I have used that RA a couple of times but found it to be a dangerous b@stard! Close scrapes every time I used it. :shock:

Now I take a right about halfway up College Road (following College Road) where it becomes Fountain Drive. The spot has a small island and the road drops slightly down and then resumes a climb, entering a larger road where Dulwich Wood Park becomes College Road. Left here and up to the lights.

The cars are pretty accommodating provided you position yourself positively but not like a twunt hogging the lanes :roll: .

Right at the lights and off home...

Hope this helps a bit.
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • dresbo
    Harveytile wrote:
    I have used that RA a couple of times but found it to be a dangerous b@stard! Close scrapes every time I used it. :shock:

Now I take a right about halfway up College Road (following College Road) where it becomes Fountain Drive. The spot has a small island and the road drops slightly down and then resumes a climb, entering a larger road where Dulwich Wood Park becomes College Road. Left here and up to the lights.

The cars are pretty accommodating provided you position yourself positively but not like a twunt hogging the lanes :roll: .

Right at the lights and off home...

Hope this helps a bit.

Yes - I've noticed a lot of people turning off there. I've been that way once, and I can't remember why I didn't continue to use it, but I really like the physical challenge up to the top of the hill in one pop the other way. You might be right and that might be better.

I guess I'm more worried about people who don't know it have no idea it is so dangerous. I can't believe there hasn't been an accident already.

It's funny because I go through Elephant and Castle roundabout which is notoriously dangerous every day and don't worry about it at all. I guess it's to do with volume of cyclists more than the actual danger.
  • Like ketsbaia I know it best approaching from Sydenham Hill. Both little roundabouts are laid out for fast driving for the bigger roads and scary manoeuvres for the smaller exits*. If you're coming from College Road past Sydenham Hill Rail Station, Harveytile's suggestion looks a good one - you rejoin the top road at lights.

* an alternative explanation is that the two little roundabouts are actually nipple roundabouts and people drive round them like tits...
  • dresbo
    I have written to the council (actually Croydon) and await their response. If anyone else wants to add their tuppence, please go ahead. Every little helps.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    dresbo wrote:
    I have written to the council (actually Croydon) and await their response. If anyone else wants to add their tuppence, please go ahead. Every little helps.

Croydon council? I wouldn't have said they are the council for that area..
    It's just outside upper norwood and thats on the boundary limit for croydon council.
    I would have pressumed it was Lambeth.
  • dresbo
    gaz545 wrote:
    dresbo wrote:

Croydon council? I wouldn't have said they are the council for that area..
    It's just outside upper norwood and thats on the boundary limit for croydon council.
    I would have pressumed it was Lambeth.

You are right! Bromley told me it was Croydon, and Croydon told me it was Lambeth. Lambeth haven't got back to me yet, but Croydon also told me it was borough of Southwark, but that the A roads are generally run by TFL. It seems that road is right on the edge of a number of areas.

I've emailed Lambeth and tfl just to cover all the bases. Hopefully someone will 'fess up to being responsible for it at some point. :)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I use that road quite often and tend to vary heading up College Road/Fountain Drive or peel off and use College Road as Harveytile recommended (he beat me to it!)

It's certainly a hairy one as the road kicks up just before the top meaning your coming at it from a steepish hill and have to time a gap in the traffic coming from your right and then have to contend with the idiots on the left! I try to start watching that side as soon as I've seen a gap and eyeball the drivers.

As for the College Road approach that at least has traffic lights at the top which can offer some respite but if you are heading right at the top you'll need to get in lane before the split as they have filter lights for each direction and left goes first! Oddly coming that way I've always been amused by the "stop" marking on the contra-flow cycle lane before you re-join the mainroad, you can just about see it here Quite why they'd expect a cyclist to stop before starting off on a hill is ridiculous! I tend to find I can just nip out and join the traffic without bothering anyone........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,707
    I know that one, I use it from time to time when I fancy a nice little hill climb but I only need to turn left there and just stick close to the curb on the turn, so have not had the brown pants moments you've had.

What do you reckon is the best way to make it safer?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dresbo
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What do you reckon is the best way to make it safer?

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51 ... 4,,0,14.58

I'm not sure really - I'm certainly no expert.. I know they wont' spend money on it. One easy way would be to push the left hand kerb out to force cars to slow down as they approach. At the moment it's so wide and straight that there's no reason to slow at all. Even if you make it across, you often get buzzed by cars going cutting the corner at high speed.

Better might be getting rid of the roundabout and turning it into a right turn using the third (right) lane as the filter to turn off down Fountain drive, with priority to the cars on the A road. I can't really see the reason it's a roundabout anyway. The vast majority of traffic is along the A212.

Even if they just renewed the lines and put a big give-way sign up (or one of those annoying flashing 'slow' signs), I'm sure it would make a difference.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I think the only way to fix it would be lights to make it the same sort of junction as College Road, as others have said the design of the r/b itself doesn't really encourage people to slow down.

I also think it's down to sh!thead drivers as I don't tend to have that many problems with r/b once I'm out of the area but can pretty much guarantee I'll always be cut up on that one on my bike. The other one is a bit closer to my house at the bottom of Whitehorse Road and Whitehorse Lane by Thornton Heath High Street - that one is really special tho as even being in a car doesn't mean you'll be seen but the drivers don't usually carry as much speed onto it as they do on the one of Crystal Palace parade.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I wonder whether the roundabout is too subtle? In Street View it does a good job of blending into the background.

It might improve matters if the roundabout was more obvious and maybe has a hedge on it to obstruct the straight on view somewhat (so drivers approaching can't assume there is nothing coming from opposite - which no doubt is what may check as they approach, rather than glancing towards Fountain Drive.

A 3 lane approach doesn't help, as lanes 1 and 2 will only give the right a glance at most, and many cars will be more concerned by the driver next to them to give the roundabout more than a quick glance.

Lights would be best for safety, without a doubt, but you would have to battle the twin prongs of optimising traffic flow and expense.

Just my ponderings. Probably lots of holes in my thinking.
  • dresbo
    All interesting suggestions. The cheapest and quite effective way that you suggested) would just be to put a barrier in the central reservation so you can't see to the right until you get close to the roundabout. Actually, on second thoughts I guess the drivers still need to know there's a roundabout there though as that makes it even more sketchy for bikes not being able to see the cars coming. eeeck.

Hopefully whoever is responsible has seen this thread and will realise that there's room for improvement. I'll keep you updated.
  • Part of the problem is that the eastbound road lane is wide, and the exit from Fountain Drive set back a bit.. drivers are looking in the wrong place & expecting them to see you & give you right of way doesn't work. The other problem being with the high volume of eastbound traffic, you don't really get a chance for both lanes to be clear. My approach is to not assume anyone will stop, attempt to force eye contact, and stay close to the center of the roundabout exiting on to the outside lane of the 212 - not swinging in to the left lane 'til I'm sure I've been seen.

Even a bit of bike lane paint around the outside of the roundabout - bordered by suitably high-visibility white bands - might help reinforce in drivers' minds a) it's a roundabout, b) watch out for bikes; that pair of junctions is also pretty hazardous as a pedestrian, maybe there's a case for phased pedestrian lights on one of those bits of A212 to help break up the constant flow of traffic a bit & help make life easier for any traffic joing from Fountain Drive and Sydenham Hill.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Increase the size of the roundabout so vehicles have to actually go round it, rather than being able to go straight on without deviating in direction.
  • rml380z wrote:
    Increase the size of the roundabout so vehicles have to actually go round it, rather than being able to go straight on without deviating in direction.

the only way you do that is making it single lane all the way round, then you'll just get people cutting up each other as they enter the r/b as people heading straight over and those wanting to turn to their 3 O'Clock (to get it right for both directions!) will want to use the same space. The real problem is the drivers being arseh0les and the only way to mitigate against that is to make roads so narrow a car cant' use it......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    The parks under Bromley, and you alsk have bordering, Lambeth, Southwark, Croydon, Lewisham
  • rhann wrote:
    The parks under Bromley, and you alsk have bordering, Lambeth, Southwark, Croydon, Lewisham

I believe that trans-council routes come under TfL.

I was at the top of Fountain Drive, half-resting, half-stretching a torn calf muscle on the roundabout kerb a couple of days ago. It was raining so the light wasn't good. I noticed another cyclist reaching the top of the hill and turning right. Though he had no problem on the roundabout, it did strike me that under such conditions, he was emerging from a shaded area - there's a lot of tree cover. So the fact that you're coming out of the dark and out of the driver's line of vision probably compounds the danger.
  • When I used to live in Forest Hill I experienced this r'bout - it is lethal for bikes and needs sorting.

Add me to the petition please!
    Orange Crush AM 15
    Airnimal Chameleon Ultra
    Planet X Team Alu
  • dresbo
    Unamusingly I got knocked off here this evening. I feel stupid for continuing to use it even after highlighting it. The bonnet didn't look to pretty and neither does my pringle of a back wheel; or my shoulder for that matter.
  • Sh1t hope you're OK. Very rarely pass that way but it sounds like a nightmare.
  • dresbo
    I'll be fine. More annoyed about the bike and by myself for not being more careful. Hopefully the driver told the police the truth and she'll cough up for the wheel.
  • I've ridden the right turn you describe at the top of Fountain Drive, and I've driven the westbound route on the A212 through that roundabout even more.

There's enough space to slide a lorry sideways through there. There's no reason for a car driver to get close to the centre of the roundabout unless they are turning right. As a cyclist, I know you shouldn't have to make space when you have right of way, but there are lines to take (eg aim for the middle lane exiting the rdbt) which should mean that all but the most psychotic driver won't get near you.

As to why drivers want to "make progress" through that rdbt, it's because of the previous one. If the have to stop there, they pull away, grab second before the Fountain Drive rdbt, and then have space and momentum that they don't want to lose.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A