Garmin 800 Help!

rogerthecat
rogerthecat Posts: 669
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Yet another Garmin help request sorry. Guys there was a link put out a while back as a rider had written a blog with all you need to know about the 800 etc. Try as I might I can not find the thread. Would someone be so kind if they are able to reply to this with the link.

Thanks

RTC

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Also here's a link to the Garmin 800 Forum so you can see where people are having problems and help guides should you get one

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245
  • rogerthecat
    Guys you are the best thanks
  • @rogerthecat

Dont know if you've bought or are planning to buy but look carefully at the various bundles. If you want offroad then the best bundle is the one with Discoverer map - its cheaper to buy this then add the cadence/HRM later than the other way round. If you want just road mapping, then look at the OSM maps for free and buy the basic unit without maps (with/without Cadence and/or HRM bundles). Note that the Discoverer OS maps are the 50k:1, fine for general directions but not the usual level of detail on a proper cycle map.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Anyone know what the "useful" battery life is like?
  • Over 8hr easily... in fact not charged mine all week - 3days x 1hr15 commutes each way = 7.5hrs and still says 20% charge.
  • rogerthecat
    @OptimisticBiker M8 I bought it the other day, I went for the package with the 1:50,000 OS map pack and bought the city nav eu map pack also, the HR and cadance add ons can come at another time, tbh, I have a HR monitor with my polar cs200 and only used it when I first started riding so that I would shed some weight, I have not used it for about a year now and thought whats the point in getting another, I have never used a cadance unit so I will not miss it, however that said I will be getting one to help with my training.

Since I am here, if anyone reading this is thinking of getting the 800, do it! it really is an outstanding bit of kit, and using Map My Ride you can create as many routes as you like, also if doing sportives they generally have a gpx file that you can use on your Garmin.
  • @OptimisticBiker M8 I bought it the other day, I went for the package with the 1:50,000 OS map pack and bought the city nav eu map pack also, the HR and cadance add ons can come at another time, tbh, I have a HR monitor with my polar cs200 and only used it when I first started riding so that I would shed some weight, I have not used it for about a year now and thought whats the point in getting another, I have never used a cadance unit so I will not miss it, however that said I will be getting one to help with my training.

Since I am here, if anyone reading this is thinking of getting the 800, do it! it really is an outstanding bit of kit, and using Map My Ride you can create as many routes as you like, also if doing sportives they generally have a gpx file that you can use on your Garmin.

how do you open those gpx files without paying then?
  • rogerthecat
    So far I do one a day and at the bottom of the map I have an Export option. I have created a free account with Map My Ride. Will that answer your question?
  • @rogerthecat
    I use RideWithGPS.com, works a treat...

Garmin edge800 forum