Team shirt changes

yourpaceormine
yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
edited March 2011 in Pro race
Is the rule still that teams can only change their shirt design once a year?

Been thinking about Sky - last year they had one shirt with the Italian font version of the Sky logo, and one with shall we say the British Sky font logo. Then they went all green for the ToB. Isn't that 3 shirts? How did they get round the rule? Or were the Italian and British jerseys technically the same design and therefore classed as one shirt design, the green rainforest version being the second?

This year the Italian jersey appears to be British Sky font with the Italian celebratory message (as worn at M-SR). Does that count as their jersey change for the year?

(As an aside I think G is a fantastic ambassador for British cycling in the National Chanpions jersey this year. Brilliant to see our national jersey riding so well and on the international stage too. Chapeau sir!)

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Who knows what the rules are? HTC had slightly altered jerseys for the Giro and Tour last year. No-one seemed to care.

Maybe if the changes are minor it's OK.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I think teams are allowed to wear different jersey designs in different countries, assuming they clear this with the UCI beforehand.

The Landbouwkrediet-Colnago team used to have Colnago as the title sponsor when racing in Italy, with the Landbouwkrediet taking on the title role elsewhere.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Can you provide visual references for the two different jerseys? Can't see any anywhere.

And were these jerseys BOTH worn by riders? Or just sold to the public?
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Long as it's cleared before hand and it's not a massive changed this is normally fine.

Unless you try to change shirts in a stage race and not bothered to tell anyone... it is likely you will get a slapped wrist :P
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Pokerface wrote:
    Can you provide visual references for the two different jerseys? Can't see any anywhere.

It was a few years back. Here's a link to Ludo Dierckxsens wearing the Colnago headed one;

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos.p ... 4/stage7/6

Here's the other one;

dierckxsens3.jpg
  • Pokerface
    andyp wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

It was a few years back. Here's a link to Ludo Dierckxsens wearing the Colnago headed one;

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos.p ... 4/stage7/6

Here's the other one;

dierckxsens3.jpg

I meant the Sky jerseys. :oops:
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    I meant the Sky jerseys. :oops:

REGULAR
    Bradley-Wiggins-21.jpg_e_af8ba28684316da01e58114594b09e57.jpg

ITALIAN
    giro10st00gc-wiggins.jpg

TOUR OF BRITAIN
    20100912_ToB_Stage2_2.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Yes, in that case the different logo does not constitute a new jersey design.
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:

So if a rider had a choice of, for example, Irish and Canadian jerseys, he'd have to pick one and couldn't switch between them. That's a shame.
  • Pokerface
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

So if a rider had a choice of, for example, Irish and Canadian jerseys, he'd have to pick one and couldn't switch between them. That's a shame.

I have no idea what that means. If you're referring to the different Sky logo versions, clearly you CAN switch between them.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    I think he is having a pop at you Pokerface..
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • RichN95.
    benjboy wrote:

I wasn't having 'a pop'. I was just a little joke. Meant in a friendly way.
  • Pokerface
    RichN95 wrote:
    benjboy wrote:

I wasn't having 'a pop'. I was just a little joke. Meant in a friendly way.

Allllllll-righty then!

(My choice was made by geography more than anything else!)