London Recreational Riding / Pub Crawl

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Looking to arrange a get together with some friends. Since they are scattered all over the place thought we might all meet for the day in London, explore a bit, have a few beers and a bite to eat before going our separate ways. There will be about a dozens or so of us, some are not regular cyclists and will be on BSOs so likely to be easily intimidated by London traffic. The novices will be coming up from the South Coast so if we can make life easy for them, the rest of us can manage. It would probably be a Saturday, meeting late morning for a leisurely day.

So I'm after suggestions for routes of about 20 miles, taking in some of the sights, keeping where possible to traffic free or quiet routes.

Any particularly recommended watering holes that wouldn't mind a dozen or more bikes?

A simple run along the Thames has been suggested (upstream). Is one bank better than the other, or should we be crossing over at various points? Is it worth diverting through Richmond Park etc? Are we going to have difficulty getting bikes on trains, especially if we all try and get on the same train back to the city? If so is there a viable circular route?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    For my two-penny's worth I think you could do alot worse than hammering down the famous Embankment, stopping at the Morpeth and then through Chelsea to the pub on Lots Rd, to Putney... loads of pubs by the river, Barnes and then a lap of Richmond Park and coming back up the river on the south side so taking in Wandsworth Park and Battersea Park, cross at Chelsea Bridge, up Sloane St, into Hyde Park, quick lap and then pootle home through Mayfair, Soho and Cov Garden, over the bridge at Waterloo again and push your bikes up south bank.

Nice.

8)