Which bike for my requirements

leonr
leonr Posts: 83
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Again, sorry for the pretty basic questions...I know it can be tedious to the more experienced people on the forum seeing the same stuff come up over and over.

Because im quite tall it makes it hard for me to find 2nd hand bikes.
I know some people think a 20" Kona for example would be ok, but its a bit of a gamble not being able to test it first (theres currently one on ebay).

What full suspension bikes should I be looking for 2nd hand? I would do some normal riding on the road, forest trails and a small amount of downhill (possibly morzine etc).
I have tried both full suspension and hardtail in morzine and I *much* prefer the full suspension bikes, I felt the hard tails a bit on the unstable side at the back on loose rocks?

I find the pinkbike sales sections quite good, the trouble is that I don't know what brands to search for.

For example I can search for Giant trance (is that it?) but then do they even make that bike in a large enough frame for myself?

A little confused as to what to do.....do 21" frames every come up 2nd hand? :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get down to some shops and find out what size fits you best.

top tube length and general fit is the most important thing. as frame "size" really means bugger all as the makers all measure their frames differently.

from the info you have given i will be surprised if anyone can guess what size you need as I am also fairly tall but use frames from 14"-18" :wink: but I guess I an not as tall as you.

but I have no idea what size frame a 7'er needs.

So get on some bikes take some measurements then go shopping.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • leonr
    Hi, I forgot that crucial bit of info!

I did start another thread on just the bike size and I had some good replies, but now I am looking for a bike im struggling.

My height is 195cm, about 6ft 4" .

What you said about frames being measured differently is really the main issue, if I go to a shop and a Kona xyz fits me perfect at 20" that doesnt mean that a 19" orange xyz won't fit , so i'm a little stumped on how to tackle this really.

I don't want to buy a new bike as they are silly amounts of money, in fact I would quite enjoy giving a more used bike some TLC and cleaning it up :D - hmmmm bugger :lol:
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Like nick says you need to try some for size/feel. I'm the same height as you and both my bikes are 18" but I have shortish legs, 32/33 inside leg, and prefer a smaller frame. I don't suffer from back/shoulder/wrist pain so they're fine for me but that doesn't mean they will be for you.

Most bike shops have helpful staff, in my experience, so get into some and try some bikes.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Eranu wrote:
    Like nick says you need to try some for size/feel. I'm the same height as you and both my bikes are 18" but I have shortish legs, 32/33 inside leg, and prefer a smaller frame. I don't suffer from back/shoulder/wrist pain so they're fine for me but that doesn't mean they will be for you.
    To highlite the importance of trying a bike before you buy, I'm also 6'4" and ride a 22" Anthem...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • leonr
    Ok thanks guys.

What actual bikes should I look at though? What are good common 2nd hand bikes?

Kona Dawg?
    Giant
    Orange

Thats all I know of....are all parts interchangable?

I don't want to be a brand whore, but then theres a reason some brands are more popular I guess?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some parts may be interchangeable, but certainly not all, or even most.

Reasons for popularity - fashion, marketing, ability, colour, you name it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cube do a very good range of sizes. I'm 6'4" and although I don't ride one I know from trying out a few in my LBS that their 20" and 22" are very good for us clydesdales.

Best bet is just to go and blag a few sit-ons at various bike shops to get a feel for what fits and what doesn't, sizing is SO different from manufacturer to manufacturer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • paulbox
    Best bet is just to go and blag a few sit-ons at various bike shops to get a feel for what fits and what doesn't, sizing is SO different from manufacturer to manufacturer.
    I wouldn't trust "sit-ons" alone, I had a Trek set up for me at one of the demo days last year, everything felt fine, but as soon as I started riding pedaling it felt too small. Get at least a couple of laps round the car park.
  • leonr
    Ok thanks guys!

Are there any other ideas as to what actual bike brands/models to target?

Theres too many to choose from!

Can somebody list a few models for me that would be good for general use and a bit of downhill?

For example, could I get a stinky and add more gears? I guess the stance is all wrong?
  • paulbox
    Try and get along to one of these:

www.thedemoseries.co.uk

Great opportunity to ride lots of different bikes and see what you like.
  • leonr
    Cool!

But as it currently stands, what is a good all round bike?

Obviously I can sit on a bike and say 'yeh that feels good' but you guys are experienced and know what bikes are good and which are not. I don't want to buy a bike which is going to fall apart when you take it down one run in morzine as it would be unsafe and false encomony :?

What im trying to say is that alot of big brand names are seen, cube, orange, GT, merida, Kona, cannondale? etc etc, are they all trusty bikes? Is there some other brands out there which can take the abuse which i've missed off the list?

CHances are I will go in a shop and find a bike that is great, but it will be £1000+ , so I will then resort to ebay/pinkbike etc and realise that the chances of finding that bike are quite low, so I will then have to search for a more common model, dawg, stinky, that kind of stuff. So I was wondering what kind of 'common' bike I should aim for, to maximise my chances in finding one :)

Thanks for the help so far though its good advice 8)
  • GPierotti
    GPierotti Posts: 104
    I am only 6'1" and i was looking for an all round bike too, pretty much for the same reasons (Scottish trail centres and a holiday to france) In the january sale i picked up my Norco lt 6.3
    So far its been amazing, love everything about it........well except for not having a way to lock out the rear shock if i'm on the road but the large frame size is a great fit for me and i reckon it would feel fine for someone a few inches taller. it was half price at £1000 so i'd say it was a bargain too!! a highly reccomended bike!
  • trekruss
    trekruss Posts: 15
    My brother and I are both 6"5 and have recently purchased Trek bikes with 21.5 inch frames.

We didn't try before we bought them and are doing ok so far with a couple of the usual beginners mtb issues that pop up on this forum. We have done some 10 - 15 mile rides over different terrains with no problems so far - Trek 3700 & Trek 6000 2011 models.