Buying a second hand bike - things to look for?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
I can't believe I've only just found this forum! Going to plunder this for info for my upcoming LEJOG.

I've only ever ridden entry-level MTBs before and never had a road bike. For better or worse I've just bought a second hand Trek 1.2 (good buy? good for LEJOG) which I pick up on Thurs.

I haven't seen it in the flesh yet. Just wondering what I should check for before handing over my hard earned cash? Ie the classic tell-tale white stuff under the oil cap if you were buying a car!

Haven't really got a clue where to start. Many thanks.

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Frame cracks, wheels still true and play in the hubs, bottom bracket, head tube.

If you are collecting it, it is less likely to be stolen but you may still want to see proof of original purchase.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • El Selb
    Frame cracks - guess I just look at all-round paintwork to try and spot underlying cracks?

Wheels - Yep, easy

Head tube - would this be checking for play where the handlebars slide into the frame?

Bottom bracket - ????

:)
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Damaged frame. If anything on the bike is broken it won't cost too much to sort it, but if the frame is damaged that will be a real bummer.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Seized Seatpost, pedals.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The bottom bracket is the round section that contains the peddle crank. Check it isn't very stiff and that there isn't any play in the shaft where it passes through the bike.

How much are you paying? I wouldn't walk away from a £75 bike because it has a sticky pedal.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Wheelie Bin
    Wheelie Bin Posts: 162
    Ditto; frame.

Also, turn the wheels and see if they 'wobble' in relation to the brake rubbers... if they do, they might be bent.

Bottom brackets and other bearings are cheap to replace. Most things are cheap to replace.

If the seller looks like he/she looks after his/her stuff you should be okay.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • El Selb
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    The bottom bracket is the round section that contains the peddle crank. Check it isn't very stiff and that there isn't any play in the shaft where it passes through the bike.

How much are you paying? I wouldn't walk away from a £75 bike because it has a sticky pedal.

I'm paying £390 for a Trek 1.2 2009 with a few other bits and pieces (rack, panniers, trip comp etc). Sound about right? Looks in good nick from the advert.

Collect around 7pm tonight!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    what the others say

also, how well adjusted is it - brakes, front/rear mechs, if they know/care enough to keep it adjusted then they probably know/care enough to maintain it reasonably

take along a ruler or chain checker and see if the chain has worn, if it too far gone the cassette will be too knackered to take a new chain

and if it's on gumtree, is it stolen!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny