Quick / easy way to Llandegla downhill sections?

haydnw
haydnw Posts: 9
edited March 2011 in Routes
Just wondering if there's a quick / easy way to the main DH black run bits of Llandegla? I'll be through that way tomorrow with my DH bike and don't much fancy trying to pedal the entire loop on it.

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Just follow the fire road from the car park as its only 4 mile to the top.
  • mark62
    mark62 Posts: 123
    Is that fire road at the top carpark? Does the fire road bring you out by the Roller coaster section? My DH is a mare to climb on:)
    cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DH run? Llandegla? Where's that then?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,029
    Blacks are just an extension of the red. We had a forum ride where one guy rode the whole thing on an 8" banshee that weighed about 50lbs... Singlespeed!

Just MTFU and do the whole lot, the black sections aren't worth it on their own.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    If you're on about the blacks then a DH bike is just completely over the top. Its one of the smoothest trails in the country. You'll have far more fun on a bike with a steeper head angle, that changes direction like a housefly. Try and not touch the brakes at all on the way down.
  • mark62
    Blacks are just an extension of the red. We had a forum ride where one guy rode the whole thing on an 8" banshee that weighed about 50lbs... Singlespeed!

Just MTFU and do the whole lot, the black sections aren't worth it on their own.

Mmmm, nice answer. Yes mine also weighs 50lbs and 8" travel, but I have 8 speed.

Been doing Llangegla most weekends for the last 4 years. For me, Llandegla is for fun, not for fitness (I run 15 miles a week and do 4-hours in the gym for that).

I love certain sections of Llandegla on my DH kit, for pretty obvious reasons I hate others. Now Im trying to find a ways to get easier access to the fun bits.
    cheers
  • Anonymous
    One easier way to get access to them is to ride something else, instead of a DH bike.
  • mark62
    Im not asking for your advice/judgement on what to ride at Llandegla. Im asking if the fire road that omegas mentions is at the top car park.
    cheers
  • ma9mwah
    ma9mwah Posts: 53
    A is the topcar park
    B is the start of the red downhill which leads to the first black with the table tops.
    MAP
  • mark62
    Thanks ma9mwah, will give it a go this weekend:)
    cheers
  • ichabod
    ichabod Posts: 78
    I'm also interested in this even though I ride a normal trail bike. I find that Llandegla has a hell of a lot of dull flat sections which I would love to miss out. I would much rather do a couple of loops of the best bit (furthest away from the trail center) than a single loop of the whole trail. Annoyingly the carpark and shop is about as far away as possible from the good downhill sections. Perhaps it is possible to park elsewhere and use a different forest entrance?
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    ichabod,

theres no legit (ie without chopping locks) way to drive to the western bits of the forest but there are alterntiave ways you can ride there from other roads which would shorten or at least add interest compared to the ascent from the trail centre, these are probbaly not much use to the OP as they still involve climbing, anyway i've PM'd you one option.