Ribble Gran Fondo: Self Build Update

tonybanham
tonybanham Posts: 64
edited December 2012 in Your road bikes
[img][/img]IMG_0056-1.jpg[/list]

New on this forum but the information I found on here was very useful when I decided to get a new bike after 12 years with my Dolan/Chorus/Rolf built by Chevin (will be for sale soon). Eventually decided to go with the Ribble Grand Fondo frame set, good value for money and mainly black & white. I have never built a bike before so I went for the self-build option (might not get another chance) with bits bought from various sources on the interweb. The frame is slightly different to the one shown on website has straight folks & different profiles at the back.
Build was a bit harder that I thought, (note to self: need better wire cutters) and I still struggle with bar tape!

Have to say the Ribble customer service was excellent had they the frame ready to collect when requested as I was in the Preston area that day, also no star nut was supplied but after a quick phone call one was put in the post.

Sorry the picture is not very good, the bush seemed a good support for the bike at the time. I will get my daughter to take a better picture.

Frame: Gran Fondo 51cm (M)
Forks: Gran Fondo

Groupset: Campag Chorus 2011
170mm cranks 53-39, 12-27 cassette, dual pivot brakes front & back.

Wheels: Mavic Cosmic Elite 2011
Tyres: Schwable Ultremo R.1 (Black-Silver)

Bars: Deda Zero White O/S 46cm
Tape: BBB Vintage White
Stem: Deda Zero 100 Servizio Corse White 100mm
Seat Post: ITM Alutec 7075 Carbon
Saddle: Selle Italia Thoork Team Edition
Cages: BBB Carbon Look
Computer: Sigma 1106DTS
Pedals: Veloce Profit (from old bike)

Completed today & not yet ridden in anger hopefully this weekend if the weather is OK!
Will report later along with a better picture.

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Very nice! Enjoy your virgin ride! :)
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Me likey! Very nice, and even signs of OCP.. valve stems lined up with logos nicely.

BUT... recommend you move the computer sensor to the front of the fork leg, not behind. If it gets bumped into the spokes, it will get messy , but on the front you won't have a problem...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The straight blade forks look much better than the old ones do!

Nice bike. Its great building your first bike! but i bet you quaddrouple checked all the nuts n bolts! :lol:
  • Thanks, good point about the sensor will move as suggested. Regarding the valves I was told years ago to line them up with logo on the tyres so you could find them quickly, only knows why I need to they are not that hard to find! but this has stayed with me.
    yes have checked the nut & bolts a few times & when everything falls off under the first heavy braking it will be my fault!
  • P1040229.jpg

Updated photo in the sun complete with garage door!
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Nice.
    Much prefer yours over the Ribble Sportive
    ITM post and Deda stem though ? Deda do some nice white posts.

Enjoy
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Me likey! Very nice, and even signs of OCP.. valve stems lined up with logos nicely.

BUT... recommend you move the computer sensor to the front of the fork leg, not behind. If it gets bumped into the spokes, it will get messy , but on the front you won't have a problem...

Eh? I don't get that at all. If its on the back and it gets bumped round a bit the spoke will bump it back out again. On the front if it gets bumped a bit the spokes will drag it round the fork and churn it out the back. No?

Nice bike btw Tony!
    More problems but still living....
  • Quick update- had problems with wheels & computer.
    I have gone for Gipiemme Tecno 716 Pro to replace the Cosmic Elites- will report back on how they perform. Sigma computer died so replaced with Cateye Micro.

IMG_0162V1.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    I have to admit it does look good :D
  • Additional photos with better camera & lighting.

P1050376.jpg
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    Nice bike indeed...

Just waiting for you to send me the Cosmic Elites FOC as agreed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Thats nice,i like with the cosmic.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • New replacement frame due to a small crack in rear dropout- note on this frame the rear dropouts are now painted black. Wanted the new 2013 Gran Fondo model as the replacement but Ribble would only provide like for like. (Looking at the display model the 2013 frame appears not to be made by Deda and has a carbon steering tube).

Wheels changed to CSN Superleggera clinchers from Ribble bought when they had extra 10% off - I know they weigh as much as a battleship but it is pretty flat around where I live so not a major issue. As no weights are quoted on the Ribble site so for thoese who are interested front=920g & rear=1156g (without skewers & tape) rims appear to be made by Pro-Lite. Also just swapped seatpost to a Deda to match the rest of the bike, the ITM post now for sale.

IMG_0220.jpg
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    For the money - very nice :D
  • Looks great, no doubt it goes great.

Does make you wonder exactly what you get when you spend double or even triple.....(and I'm guilty of that myself!)
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    Mine has small cracks (what looks like the paint) around the rear drop outs, What did ribble say when you went to them ? did it take ages to sort? Mines just gone over its 12 months
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    GOLDGPR wrote:
    Mine has small cracks (what looks like the paint) around the rear drop outs, What did ribble say when you went to them ? did it take ages to sort? Mines just gone over its 12 months

I was about to put pennies down on a gran fondo, would be interested myself. Common issue?
  • Looks great, no doubt it goes great.

Does make you wonder exactly what you get when you spend double or even triple.....(and I'm guilty of that myself!)

Hmmm, maybe you get dropouts that don't crack....?!!!
  • Thanks for the positive comments.

With regards to the warranty Ribble informed me the frame had a 2 year warranty so you should be OK. It would appear a number of Gran Fondo frames did suffer from this type of crack, which is in the paint work so it is cosmetic not structural (ran my for several months before taking in to Ribble). I emailed them first about the issue they said they could arrange collection of the bike but I stripped it down & I took back to the 'showroom' (had only bought frame & fork from them) from there they said it would require an inspection. It took them about 3 weeks to check & arrange an exchange, no issues with them very polite & efficient.

If you are considering the Gran Fondo may be better to go for the 2013 frame- paint scheme the same but the tube profiles are different but it also may be lighter due to the carbon steering tube. That said I have done over 7000 miles on mine & it has been excellent apart from the above issue.
  • I had this problem with mine too. Contacted ribble with close up photos and they confirmed it was a common problem due to paint. They offered a repair but i declined and the bike & frame has been fine for over 2 years after spotting it.
  • I'm thinking of getting one of these for next year, always had frames with horizontal top tubes though! My ribble winter bike is a 62cm so what size would I need in one of these frames? Think your bike looks great!
  • Not sure of the correct size for you- but as a guide I am 5'8" and have the medium sized frame, hope that helps.
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    Cheers for the reply, I am too very happy with mine done over 3000 miles on it and love it. May well get in touch with them, as they are starting to look unsightly now. Cheers G