Saddles

Oceanblue
Oceanblue Posts: 158
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
I understand the saddle is the cyclists’ Holy Grail and what suits one won’t suit another but anyone want to recommend a quality one reasonably priced?

Ta

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Planned to replace my stock saddle that came with my PX, but it looks much better in the flesh and I've found it comfy.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAP ... eam-saddle

Only £40 for the Ti version.
    Simon
  • fir518
    fir518 Posts: 11
    I have a charge spoon on my mtb and a spoon Ti my road bike. Very reasonable price and great comfort too. very stylish and get great reviews.
    Definitely worth a look.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Oceanblue wrote:
    I understand the saddle is the cyclists’ Holy Grail and what suits one won’t suit another but anyone want to recommend a quality one reasonably priced?

Ta
    No. You covered why in the first part of the question. You can just as easily find a cheap one that suits you as an expensive one that does not. This is one item you have to sort out yourself. It took me nearly 10 years to find the right one. Several were OK(ish) but have now settled on Selle Italia Flite Gelflo. Unfortunately not cheap but they fit me.
  • :oops: To find the perfect saddle for yourself must be a lovely thing, but I have the nagging feeling that you will spend a number of pennies in the search. Pity you can't try put a few on "sale or return" such scheme may already exist, anybody know?
  • Primera Sports
    TEST SADDLE PROGRAM - Don't miss out on getting the best saddle for you!
    We have test saddles available from Specialized, Fizik & Selle Italia, allowing you to test the best saddles on the market while riding your own bike. Eliminate the risk of getting the wrong saddle. Call Paul on 01202 775588 to book a saddle today!

Posted on their Facebook page a while ago, worth checking out.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    All fizik dealers can take saddles for "tests" i believe.

However, Fiziks are very bum specific I found, The tundra ruined me, the arione was average, and the Gobi in an upright MTB position, is like sitting on a sofa, dead comfy.

The Gobi in my flat backed road position, hell, utter utter hell. Charge spoon/Madison Flux was fine upright, but flat backed, i couldnt walk for days.

All saddles are designed for the position they are used for. Look at a full on racer or TT saddle, nothing like a saddle designed for a bike with a long head tube. Look at a MTB saddle, totally different once again.

My Holy grail is, for MTB, a Fizik Gobi XM (in pimpy snakeskin trim), and for my road bike (with a racing position), is a Selle San Marco SKN. Swap them over It would be testicular suicide, they are designed for their purpose and not for the opposites!

Best thing is to assess your ride position, how flexible are you, how wide your sit bones are and various other things, draw up a shortlist, go to a big shop with them all in stock and ask them to try them on the turbo in the shop or something. Even if online you can get the saddles for £5 less, its wroth that cost to try them out. Ask someone with knowledge, they will tell you what to look for too, I believe for flat backs you need a narrow front, a flat top and ideally a cut out and some flex. for more upright, try to get some more padding near the rear so your sit bones dont take too much abuse.

Best of luck with your search, it will be well worth it in the end
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Planned to replace my stock saddle that came with my PX, but it looks much better in the flesh and I've found it comfy.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SAP ... eam-saddle

Only £40 for the Ti version.

That looks a good option although be aware that manufacturer's claimed weights for saddles are often wildly optimistic. I bought a Selle Italia Team Thoork which has a claimed weight of 140 grammes but was more like 160 odd in reality. Also bought a standard Selle Italia Thoork (Planet X about £45) which has a claimed weight 190g but when it turned up actually weighed in at 235g! Both saddles are pretty comfortable but don't go on the manufacturer's weight listings!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I got my Spesh Alias from a Spesh dealer and I was allowed to trial a couple before buying.
    They can also measure your sit bones to get the right size.
    Had a Fizik Arione before and while it was comfy enough, I got the Alias so I had the cut out as I would go numb after a while.
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Guess I'm one of the lucky few that has found the stock saddle on my bike really comfy!

Not sure if you can actually buy the Cube Ready For Race saddles anywhere or indeed if they are simply another manufacturers rebranded to go with the RFR finishing kit!
    exercise.png
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    When I was starting on the cycling thing a few years ago I did this

1) make a list of saddles people say they like
    2) start to go through them one by one until I find a good un

I actually struck it lucky after 1 saddle ( Brooks B17 ) but this approach does work
    You can refine it slightly by figuring out what sort of width works for you
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Using a Prologo Nago at the moment and its very comfortable.
  • Stock Fizik on my CAAD9 ruined my gentleman's vegetables after less than 50 miles (numb for 3 days, was getting very worried, as was Mrs BT :wink: )

Bought a Prologo Nago - not as bad but still sore

Bought a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow and never looked back. can now ride 80 miles+ with little or no discomfort. So impressed I bought a second one for my hybrid. About £90 a throw but well worth it.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Slightly off-topic but do people just go & buy a new saddle beacuse there is something wrong with the one they already have (ie poor fit/not comfy etc) or do people just buy a new cause they fancy smoething different? Just wondering as the saddle I have which came with the bike I bought 2 months ago seems ok as it stands; am I just lucky?
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    After having the same predicament i ended up buying a Charge Spoon and so far no probs what so ever,a bargain at twenty odd quid.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    the spesh Romin is a great saddle, not the prettiest or lightest but very comfortable for long distances. I'm regularly doing 3 hrs plus in the saddle and no discomfort, unlike previous saddles such as Prologo Scratch Pro and Spesh Toupe. Persistant saddle sores disappeared after a few weeks. Spesh concept stores do loan saddles.
  • getjim
    getjim Posts: 30
    Had my sit bone width measured on the Ass o Meter at my LBS yesterday. Got a Specialized Romin 143 test saddle for a few days to give it a go. All reports are good and it's got to be better than the Spesh Riva that hurts like hell after a couple of hours.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I've got a Brooks Team Pro Classic on an Allez Sport.

Once broken in, and on your mileage it'll take about a week, it is very comfy, centry runs are no problem.

Not everyone's taste, maybe not minimalist, but i must say, I love it!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thought I'd struck gold with the San Marco SKN. Had one before and liked it. So, got one for my new Roubaix but after 55 miles today I am a liitle sore! maybe the search continues. Very tempted by the Charge Spoon given the price, or perhaps the Spesh Romin.. :?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    lef wrote:
    the spesh Romin is a great saddle, not the prettiest or lightest but very comfortable for long distances. I'm regularly doing 3 hrs plus in the saddle and no discomfort, unlike previous saddles such as Prologo Scratch Pro and Spesh Toupe. Persistant saddle sores disappeared after a few weeks. Spesh concept stores do loan saddles.

I've found the Romin absolutely brilliant. Been trying to find an all-day saddle for a couple of years. Charge Spoon was best of the others for me (also the cheapest and more comfy than the £120 Selle Italia Team Edition I ended up selling on eBay), but still got painful after 3 or 4 hours. Did a 110 mile / 7 hour ride on Saturday and absolutely no discomfort!

So happy to finally find one that's fits me perfectly I'm tempted to buy a couple of spares!
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Thought I'd struck gold with the San Marco SKN.

Just put one of these on my new steed... So far, building up the mileage without any probs to date...
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....