Another thread about going tubeless....help!

Johnny Chimpo
Johnny Chimpo Posts: 104
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, just looking for a bit of quick info from someone who will be far more technical and clued up than me! :lol:

I am thinking about swapping over to a tubeless setup on my bike. I currently run Maxic XM719 rims with panarace fire xc pro tyres.

The first simple question - is it going to be possible to run tubeless with this tyre / rim combo?

The second question - what is the best tubeless kit to get, stans, joes, "ghetto" tubeless or are there any others that are better?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide on what I am sure are questions that have already been asked.... just cant seem to find them using the search function :lol:

Cheers

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I had Panaracer Rampage and tried going tubeless with them......fail.

Panaracers I found out afterward are not the best to go tubeless with. I run the Stans tape and sealent on Flow rims with no problems using Nobby Nics.
  • So if I am going to go ahead with it I should change my tyres over to Nobby Nics or Racing Ralph's ?

Just checked on the merlin cycles site and they do a few different versions of these tyres - snakeskin, tubeless, UST and just the normal ones..... are the tubeless ones the correct ones to go for, or are they only if im using tubeless ready rims?

This seems quite complicated for what it is :lol:
  • CraigXXL
    Racing Ralph are more of a race tyre built for lightweight and look like a warn down Nobby Nic. The snakeskin gives more sidewall protection to the thin evo carcass.

I got mine from Action Sports in Germany who are doing the latest version which are branded as Pacestar compound and Tubeless Ready which means that you can use them with a sealant which will make the walls airtight. The UST version are heavier due to thicker walls but you still need to use sealant anyway incase of punctures.

The ones at Merlin should do you fine but if you want more grip go for Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs for speed.
  • Razer_MTB
    Razer_MTB Posts: 361
    if going for the schwalbe tyres have a look at on-one website as all their schwalbe folding tyres are half price or less
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've been tubeless with rampages on 719's for ages. I went ghetto and it worked fine, if a little bit of a pain to seat.

I found a couple of layers of duct tape under the ghetto rimstrip packed the rim out enough to get a really good seal, things only get iffy at less than 20psi (I'm a big bloke) but I'm consistently running 10-15psi lower than i was before.
  • CraigXXL wrote:
    I got mine from Action Sports in Germany who are doing the latest version which are branded as Pacestar compound and Tubeless Ready which means that you can use them with a sealant which will make the walls airtight. The UST version are heavier due to thicker walls but you still need to use sealant anyway incase of punctures.

The ones at Merlin should do you fine but if you want more grip go for Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs for speed.

So would these be the ones you are talking about?

http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Component ... 28557.html

Would it be better to run Nobby Nics front and back, or a split of nobby nic and racing ralph? Just looking for something that handles as good, if not better than my panaracers.

And the final question is what size should I run, at the moment my panaracersa are 2.1's but i was thinking about going a bit wider to 2.25's.
  • CraigXXL
    No, these are what I use http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Components/Tires/Schwalbe-Nobby-Nic-Evo-2011-Pace-Star::30219.html They are about 165g lighter without sealent but you'd be wise to run that in either tyre.

Racing Ralph on the rear will decrease drag increasing speed slightly. I ran my FS like that for while and it was great in the dry but bugger all grip for climbing in the wet. The NN gives more tracton and not that much slower. I love the Fire XC Pro but prefer the NN front and rear.
  • Right, last question..... from the three options on the link you gave me, what ones did you go for the normal ones, the snakeskin ones or the double defence????

Gona order a set up and a tubeless kit, just want to make sure I definatley get the right ones :wink:

Cheers

G
  • Cheers Craig much appreciated.... gona get them ordered up now! :D
  • Ordered! :D