Formby Cycles

moscowflyer
moscowflyer Posts: 540
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
After a break from cycling of about 4 years or so, I've now got the bug back and am looking at a Specialized Sport. Formby Cycles do interest free finance, but I've not come across them before so was looking to see if anyone has, and whether they're recommended?

Or any other retailers offering interest free finance over 12 months would be good.

Cheers

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I'd totally recommend them. I've had no problems with them even though some of their gear can be a little overpriced, but they do have a really wide range of bikes/frames.

When they were in 3 tuns lane i went in to scope out a dolan and was offered a discount on an older model and a free bikefitting.!!

ABout 2 years ago I spoke to a guy in Harry Middletons in ormskirk who, IIRC, also said they do interest free finanace, so you may want to check them out to. They dont have a proper website but easy enough to find.

Oh and for what its worth I think Taskers now own Formby cycles so they're hardly likely to take the money and run. Good luck and happy shopping.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • bought my wilier off them around a month ago they were absolutely superb.
    i rang them the day before i went to the shop ( an hours drive away from home )
    when i got there the chap i spoke to phil said he'd got 4 bikes in my size ready to look at.
    when i'd chosen the one i fancied he got a turbo trainer out and fitted me on the bike.
    and then whilst my wife filled in the paperwork the lads got the bike ready and i left with it the same day.
    they knocked £200 off the r.r.p and this was all done when they were ready for closing up too.
    a real breath of fresh air as i'd been fannying about trying to get a cube from another shop with no success for nearly a month.
    10/10.
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    Great stuff, thanks for the replies.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Bought my Wilier from there too. Really friendly staff and a nice place to look around.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

If you want an alternative to Formby Cycles, check out the Leisure Lakes site. They are agents for most of the leading brands including Specialized and will do 0% finance with payment periods varying with the amount you spend. eg if you spend over £700 you can get 12 months interest free.

If you are looking at the Specialized Secteur Sport it retails at £770 so you would be OK for a 12 months interest free deal.

Not sure where you are based but if Formby Cycles is close to you then LL have outlets in Preston and Bury

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=14822
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    bought my wilier off them around a month ago they were absolutely superb.
    when i got there the chap i spoke to phil said he'd got 4 bikes in my size ready to look at.
    when i'd chosen the one i fancied he got a turbo trainer out and fitted me on the bike.
    and then whilst my wife filled in the paperwork the lads got the bike ready and i left with it the same day.
    they knocked £200 off the r.r.p and this was all done when they were ready for closing up too.
    a real breath of fresh air as i'd been fannying about trying to get a cube from another shop with no success for nearly a month.
    10/10.

Fantasist.
  • Tim Merc
    Tim Merc Posts: 11
    Always had first class service from them. At least as good as the other local shops. Bought one of my bikes from them, A Wilier ( do they sell anything else!?). Found a crack in the frame after eighteen months. The response was superb, my Mortirolo was replaced with an Izoard, and it was sorted pretty quickly. Good, reliable people to deal with in my humble opinion.
  • Essex Man wrote:
    bought my wilier off them around a month ago they were absolutely superb.
    10/10.

Fantasist.

i thought it was only fair as i'd paid for her new fake boobies the week before :shock:
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    I have bought two bikes from them and would recommend them. They are very busy but do give you good advice and help in choosing the right machine. Bought two Dolans, one on 0% finance and one on cyclescheme.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited March 2011
    Two of my bikes are from there, they were very keen to sell me a Dolan too, even though I didn't want one. They must have a big mark up. Just be aware that their mechanics are totally incompetent dickwads and 10% discount off advertised price is par for the course.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Bought a Dolan frame from there which was posted to me.....pretty quick postage and undamaged.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • Tim Merc
    Hey tim i am the proud owner of a wilier izoard, was it a carbon frame you had problems with? this is my first carbon bike and i am a little concerned about how safe carbon really is, after reading horror stories, whats your opinion on carbon per say?
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • Tim Merc
    The Mortirolo was my first carbon frame. I noticed the crack when I was cleaning it. It was on top section of the seat stays close to the seat tube. It was very slight, it would just catch on your finger nail.

I looked around on the net and I read something about tapping the area with a coin to see if the sound changed. When I took it back to the shop they thought it was cosmetic, a crack in the paint finish rather than damage to the carbon underneath. In any case, Wilier do a two year warranty and the shop were happy to arrange a replacement. With it being my first carbon frame I might have been a little cautious, but it was a defect, I hadn't scratched the frame in anyway.

My other thought was that if I wanted to buy another frame I'd find it difficult to sell one with a crack in it. I don't know if this is something that happens regularly with carbon, I'd suspect not as you very rarely hear about damage to carbon unless you've cracked it. Talking to others at my club, no one had had a similar experience with any carbon frame. Think the Izoard is brill BTW.
  • Tim Merc
    Don't think it's likely to happen again, and I'd happy buy a carbon frame again.