Cyclists, what a bunch of ignorant tw@ts

Massimo
Massimo Posts: 318
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
I'm now embarrased to call myself a cyclist :oops:

I was following three guys on bikes last night. By the looks of it they had all just had their new toys and were 'doing the commute' for the very first time.

I was horrified by the complete disregard for their safety, other peoples cars, and the rules of the road. Running red lights, screaming at drivers, not confident enough to take their hands off the handlebars - so unable to signal.

The title of this post is a quote from a guy in a car who was next to me at some lights as we watched them go straight through.

And I completey agree with him.

From now on I'm telling people I'm a convicted sex offender, i'll get less grief that way.
Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
FCN: 2

Comments

• There are bad, ignorant and selfish road users of all types, unfortunately. It is a shame that some (many?) will lazily generalise from the example they set :?
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    You make a valid point.

But there are so few people commuting on bikes in Birmingham anyway that the actions of three people on the Hagley Road do have an effect. Especially if they are going to be out setting a bad example five days a week until September
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    I find it really frustrating when cyclists run red lights. In Manchester when I leave work I often find myself almost run over as I walk across a green man pedestrian crosing, yet some fool on a bike decides that they don't apply to him and he barges through everyone. I'm 50/50 on running red lights when done in a 'safer' manner. I don't do it myself, but at least when I see someone go slowly through them I know they are at least aware of their cheekiness.

Hopefully these cyclists you mention will realise the error of their ways before someone gets injured. As mentioned, a bad few can give a very bad name for the majority. I'm hedging my bets that a convicted sex offender is hated as equally as cyclists though by many motorists. lol
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Massimo wrote:
    I'm now embarrased to call myself a cyclist :oops:

I was following three guys on bikes last night. By the looks of it they had all just had their new toys and were 'doing the commute' for the very first time.

I was horrified by the complete disregard for their safety, other peoples cars, and the rules of the road. Running red lights, screaming at drivers, not confident enough to take their hands off the handlebars - so unable to signal.

The title of this post is a quote from a guy in a car who was next to me at some lights as we watched them go straight through.

And I completey agree with him.

From now on I'm telling people I'm a convicted sex offender, i'll get less grief that way.

Probably not a good idea :roll: . Common sense FAIL.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Unless Hagley Rd has changed since I last went along it in the rush hour (about a year ago) then (hopefully) it shouldn't be long before Darwin kicks in :twisted:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • RichK wrote:
    Unless Hagley Rd has changed since I last went along it in the rush hour (about a year ago) then (hopefully) it shouldn't be long before Darwin kicks in :twisted:

unless they have managed to procreate then the stupid gene they possess will be carried on
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    RichK wrote:

unless they have managed to procreate then the stupid gene they possess will be carried on

Is bonking required for this?
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Advice I got when I started driving black cabs: "Don't worry about your driving, there's very little you can do to make people's prejudice worse" - still relevant. btw, no longer drive cabs, got tired of folk talking behind my back (boom tsshh)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Advice I got when I started driving black cabs: "Don't worry about your driving, there's very little you can do to make people's prejudice worse" - still relevant. btw, no longer drive cabs, got tired of folk talking behind my back (boom tsshh)

lol
  • Valy

lol
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I nearly took out an entire mini Pelaton on Sunday morning, group of lycra clad shaven leg roadies out for their Sunday morning jaunt, I turned right off a main road into a one way street as they turned right out of a side road (just 10meters from the first junction) the wrong way up the one way straight towards me, harsh application of brakes to avoid them, not one stopped to apologise, most motorists would be back next week and trying to take that corner faster!

Its tw*ts like that, that put the rest of us at risk.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Commuting home tonight this cop car went straight through a red at a t-junction, I shouted at him "red light dickhead" , he just looked up shocked like a rabbit in headlights.

I'd rather be run over by a cretin on a bike than by some brain dead muppet in a BMW.

I see all vehicles run red lights everyday, someone on a cycle is the least of your worries.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    I nearly took out an entire mini peloton on Sunday morning, group of lycra clad shaven leg roadies out for their Sunday morning jaunt, I turned right off a main road into a one way street as they turned right out of a side road (just 10meters from the first junction) the wrong way up the one way straight towards me, harsh application of brakes to avoid them, not one stopped to apologise, most motorists would be back next week and trying to take that corner faster!

Simon

Bulls***, it scum in half ton vehicles using mobile phones or speeding that put us at risk, get your priorities right.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Valy
    AndyManc wrote:
    I nearly took out an entire mini peloton on Sunday morning, group of lycra clad shaven leg roadies out for their Sunday morning jaunt, I turned right off a main road into a one way street as they turned right out of a side road (just 10meters from the first junction) the wrong way up the one way straight towards me, harsh application of brakes to avoid them, not one stopped to apologise, most motorists would be back next week and trying to take that corner faster!

Simon

Bulls***, it scum in half ton vehicles using mobile phones or speeding that put us at risk, get your priorities right.

I think he meant by creating a bad image and therefore making cars like us less etc
  • The Rookie
    I did, stupid and inconsiderate cyclists who willfully and balatantly break the law give motorists the escuse to treat us all the same and with the same careless abandon these idiot cyclists show!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    AndyManc wrote:

Simon

My priority is to ride safe and legal and accept that there's knobheads using every mode of transport.

I find I can manoeuvre my way through the Manchester traffic so much better when not carrying a huge chip on my shoulder.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc wrote:

Simon

My priority is to ride safe and legal and accept that there's knobheads using every mode of transport.

I find I can manoeuvre my way through the Manchester traffic so much better when not carrying a huge chip on my shoulder.

But can you do it whilst talking shi* at the same time ?

URBAN_MANC.png
  • Valy
    AndyManc wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

Simon

But can you do it whilst talking shi* at the same time ?

ANdymac, thou mustth stop trollin'
  • The Rookie
    AndyManc, the voice of reason - LMAO

You reap what you sow!

Simon
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    The distinction shouldn't be between drivers and cyclists, but good road users and bad ones. People do good and silly things in all modes of transport (differing impacts accepted)
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • saladfunky
    saladfunky Posts: 130
    Cyclists of commuting/mtb and roadie genre all need to be considerate of fellow road users and our image will improve. Simple I thought? Don't blatently charge through red lights making car drivers angry, ride 2 abreast on busy roads so cars can't get passed, or it is dangerous for them to do so and pissing them off more! I will pull over on a single track road to let a car pass rather than just ignoring the car and winding him up in the process. Consideration for all other road users is my rule. I will thank all other "considerate" road users by hand gesture if they give a wide birth. Good will to all road users, BUT, WATCH OUT FOR THE BAD DRIVERS AT THE SAME TIME OR YOU MAY GET KILLED!!!

amen

8)
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!