Noob!!

tammy22
tammy22 Posts: 5
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hey All,

I'm Sam from West Sussex, I'm 22 and have decided to get into a bit of Mountain Biking!!

Always loved riding as a kid and thought it would be a good form of exercise to get into as apposed to spending time in a sweaty, dirty gym!!

I picked up a Carrera Fury at the weekend, after reading reviews this seemed the best suited bike, I was looking at the Cube Acid's but after reading about them I became under the impression that they are abit over priced??

Looking forward to getting on some decent tracks, anyone got any good ideas around Sussex/Hampshire way?

Thanks

Sam :D

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    There's loads. Have a chat with the guys at Geared in Chichester (on the West Wittering road just South of the A27 roundabout) as they do ride outs and will know everywhere. We use Kingley Vale and the area around it quite a lot but there's some sharp hills there for a beginner, but well worth investigating when you're a bit more comfortable with fitness and the bike.

Loads of riding on official trails in QE Country Park just south of Petersfield, some stuff around Rogate as well which, if your really lucky, you'll get to see sessioned by some real MTB stars such as Grant "Chopper" Fielder. There's loads further west as well. We're out every Tuesday from 6.30pm for a few hours and move around Hampshire every week.

Good luck with your search!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • tammy22
    Great thanks for the reply, some useful infomation!!

I think I'm going to give myself a few weeks to get my fitness level upto scratch and get used to the bike, then will go from there.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Sign up with the Kingley Vale Mountain Bikers... ("we are not a club, just a group of folk who meet up for rides").

The guys ride QE on Wednesday nights, and there's usually a ride every weekend - QE, Kingley Vale or places further afield like Whiteways, Lords Wood (Southampton) or Rogate. If you post up a request someone is sure to offer to show you around.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    I'm just about in West Sussex (Shoreham by Sea) and I tend to wander around on the Downs on my own lol :) It's nice being able to go out whenever I feel like it without having to drive somewhere first!

Now I just need to find a good imaginary friend to talk to
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    phal44 wrote:
    I'm just about in West Sussex (Shoreham by Sea) and I tend to wander around on the Downs on my own lol :) It's nice being able to go out whenever I feel like it without having to drive somewhere first!

I know what you mean... I'm 15 minutes ride from Kingley Vale, which is very handy for spur-of-the moment evening rides.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • phal44
    I can either go for a gentle ride up the South Downs way towards Horsham but since its an old railway line its a bit boring or I can go up a little road near me which has its own path onto the Downs. Its about 4 miles of mostly uphill but coming back is fun :D
  • I'm Shoreham based as well.

If you live near Brighton then Stanmer Park has some nice trails and I believe the council is considering funding them in some way, maybe to make more, or to make them better to ride. Not sure.

http://brightonmtb.org/ - The say on their website that they ride up to an hour away from Brighton too.

and

http://sussexmuddyarse.wordpress.com/ - who are based more towards Eastbourne, but do ride in the Brighton area too.

Quest Adventure - are a bike shop that ride out of Worthing - http://questadventure.co.uk/index.asp?pageID=1

And South Downs Cycles (where I got my bike from, lovely folk) run rides from their Storrington shop on a Sunday - http://www.southdownsbikes.com/

I hope that helps?
  • phal44
    Might help me if I can be bothered to meet people lol
  • tammy22
    Great, thanks for all the recommendations people, really appreciate it, certainly seems a very friendly and helpful forum!!

Looking forward to getting out on some rides and meeting people.

Sam :D