105 chainset rub

johnoakleyallen
johnoakleyallen Posts: 83
edited March 2011 in Workshop
I've started riding my new giant tcr. It has a shimano 105 set up. I've noticed that there is a rubbing noise (the chain against the big ring) when in the small chanring, and small rear cog. Is this normal on a 10 speed 105?
It doesn't happen on my 8 speed entry level set up!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

May not be too surprising that you are getting some chain rub since it is usually not recommended that you run Small Chainring to Small Rear Cog or for that matter :Large Chainring to Large Rear Cog.

These gear choices force the chain to a drive angle where there is likely to be significant stress and wear on both the chain and the chainrings/rear cogs.

The rubbing you hear is more likely to be coming from the front mech and you may be able to get rid of it by fiddling with the limit screws. However as said above I would just avoid using the extremes of your drivetrain.
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    Just don't do it, simples. IT's not meant to be used and abuse like that. Change up to big ring, and use suitable gears
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Do you have a compact chainset? That sort of rubbing occurs more if you have a compact because of the relative size of the chainrings.
  • pawlo
    pawlo Posts: 22
    If its 105 then you can ( even on the outer chainring ) Trimm the front DR to stop this so in other words move the DR outwards slightly using the shifter to stop the chain rubbing. But yeah, large sprocket & large chainring is a bit of a no no
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    pawlo wrote:
    If its 105 then you can ( even on the outer chainring ) Trimm the front DR to stop this so in other words move the DR outwards slightly using the shifter to stop the chain rubbing. But yeah, large sprocket & large chainring is a bit of a no no

Its rubbing on small chainring - small sprocket so front mech trimming will make feck all difference since the chain is rubbing against the big chainring.
    More problems but still living....