Over to the Dark Side

sfichele
sfichele Posts: 605
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
After years of road biking I finally caved into trying some mountain biking this weekend at Coed-Y-Brenin.

And it was fecking awesome!.

I think the misses is gonna leave me if I now go out and buy a mountain bike. We already have two road bikes in the kitchen, one outside, and my pride and joy in our bedroom.

Can't wait to go again.

Comments

• mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lol taking your bike to bed possibly a step to far :D
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Welcome to the Enlightenment...
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Ditch the road bikes and replace them with a shiny MTB.....if that's not an option, ditch the wife?? ;)

....................sorry Mrs Sfichele.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    But you'll head out on the road bike one sunny day, and absolutely love the speed you've flying along at.....

Neither offroad or road is better than the other, just enjoy both disciplines.

Although depending on where you live, they'd have to be pretty amazing roads to compete with the fun of MTBing at CYB...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Nice one, I was at Coed-y-Brenin this weekend with 13 of my closest MTB buddies! Which trails did you do?

BG is right, they are different and both have their place, which is probably why all 14 of us do both!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    road cycling is evil,

blocks the road up for car users, :p and it's dull just pedalling. Now jumping off rocks skidding round berms and so on thats fun. sell the road bikes buy a shiny pricey full suss bike :p
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    mak3m wrote:
    lol taking your bike to bed possibly a step to far :D

My mountain bike lives in my bedroom, it means I clean it a fair bit though.

The road bike gets locked away in the bike store downstairs, it's not as nice to look at
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    There can be many advantages to having both, but by and large wives are incredibly over rated. Typically expensive to get rid of though, so you'll have to find a compromise.

Ditch one of the road bikes 2 is more than enough, and buy a decent MTB, perhaps used, to keep the wife happy.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    road cycling is evil,

blocks the road up for car users, :p and it's dull just pedalling. Now jumping off rocks skidding round berms and so on thats fun. sell the road bikes buy a shiny pricey full suss bike :p

Ah, but most of us don't live next door to trail centres, and lots of people don't have any decent trails on their doorstep. So for me, the trails are, for the most part, as dull as the road, so I may as well go on the road. It might be just as technically challenging as my local off roading, but at least you get the excitement of the speed.

As for slowing down traffic, I have to go on the road no matter which bike I'm on, and I slow traffic down less on the roadie because I'm going faster :P

That said, a good MTB ride is loads better than a good road ride, but I'd rather have a good road ride than crap MTB ride. So....
    proper MTB>local road>local MTB! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BG2000 wrote:
    Neither offroad or road is better than the other, just enjoy both disciplines
    Nah, you're wrong. You just are. If you want to go on roads, at speed, get a Fireblade, a Gixxer or an R1.
  • bails87
    BG2000 wrote:
    Neither offroad or road is better than the other, just enjoy both disciplines
    Nah, you're wrong. You just are. If you want to go on roads, at speed, get a Fireblade, a Gixxer or an R1.

And if you want to go off road at speed then buy a Challenger 2 :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    EXACTLY.
    Wait, what?
  • ianm7222
    ianm7222 Posts: 51
    Off road for me!

I'd rather hit a stationery tree then a car doing 70mph towards me on the wrong side of the road :D

Oh and lycra isn't compulsory off road
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • bails87
    They go fast off road, just like a Gixxer goes fast on road. It's a valid comparison....maybe :wink::lol:

If I lived somewhere good for mountain biking (i.e. somewhere with mountains) I'd think a road bike was a waste of money. But I live somewhere sh1t for MTBing but good for road biking (somewhere with roads but no mountains). SO it's actually not as dull as I first thought it was, but that's compared to my dull local offroading.
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    ianm7222 wrote:
    Off road for me!

I'd rather hit a stationery tree then a car doing 70mph towards me on the wrong side of the road :D

Oh and lycra isn't compulsory off road

Road riding is like MTBing, except the trees are made of metal and can move! :lol:

And I wouldn't be seen in public in just lycra! :oops:
    MTB/CX

• sfichele
    Am going again to Cannock 2mrw for another go. But I'm gonna just rent for now...
    Nice one, I was at Coed-y-Brenin this weekend with 13 of my closest MTB buddies! Which trails did you do?

I think, we did dream line, uncle fester, and one beginning with T.
  • Anonymous
    Those are sections of trail. Apart from "T", which is a letter
    I guess you mean "Tarw" :lol:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    How about you buy the wife a mtb as a birthday pressie? ;-)

I know who someone who bought a new mtb and gave the old one to his girlfriend as a present, wasn't me - no not at all.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • sfichele
    I might be able to get away with it. In fact it was the misses that actually came up with the idea of putting the spare road-bike in the eves, leaving room in the kitchen for a new mountain bike :)

I'll see what the finances are up to in a few months time ....

Yeh Tarw that's the one. Overall a really nice route though my first introduction to slippery tree routes - which are not so nice.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Buying a new bike for the missus doesn't always work. Last year I bought mine a brand new Spesh Myka Sport.

This year I want a new bike but there's "nothing wrong" with the two mountain bikes I have already....................... One is 18 years old and the other 13.

Oh well. Maybe next year.
  • Ditch the wife and get mountain bikes!
    If you really like your money that much and you don't want to get rid of the wife, just lock her in a cage and get the mountain bike.
    Or if you want to keep the wife so people don't think you're an idiot get rid of the road bikes and get mountain bikes! Road bikes can only be used on the road, they will just sink into the mud with them skinny tyres, however mountain bikes on the other hand are versatile and can be used either on or off the road!
    "Youth's a mask, but it don't last
    live it long and live it fast."
    My dustcap topic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forum/view ... &highlight